Friday, March 31, 2006

Words Can Be Conflicting..er, I mean Confusing!



I love words. But there are certain nuisances...I mean nuances in variable..(whoops!)..I mean various verbage.
Sometimes phrases seem to use similar words but they mean something radially - I mean radically different.

Here is an example of two different men who want to share their heart-felt thoughts to their true love:
"When I look at you, time stands still."
or
"You have a face that could stop a clock."

My Dad was a grammarian. He loved our language and had a descretionery...I mean dictionery by his reading chair at all times. He had a vicious..I mean voracious appetite for learning, especially words ~ and he would never explain the meaning of a word..he would simply insist we "look it up"..

Here were a few of his hang-ups with the mis-trust, I mean mis-use of words:
Imply vs. Infer -
Imply - hint without stating directly..as in "I am trying to imply that your blog could be funnier"
Infer - to reach an opinion from facts or reasoning. as in....a blogger might infer from the above comment that they have a boring blog.

Aggrevate vs Annoy

Aggrevate - to worsen....as in.."I might have aggrevated my relationship with said blogger by telling them my opinion."
Annoy - to bother or provoke as in.."you annoy me with your silly comments about things you know nothing about!"

Anxious vs. Eager-
Anxious - Troubled; worried as in...It makes my family anxious to think there might be discourse within my readers.
Eager - having keen interest..as in..I am eager to read the next word of this fascinating epistle.

Founder vs Flounder
Founder - to fail completely..as in...He may founder at being a famous writer (vs. infamous) author.
Flounder - move with difficulty or clumsily. as in..the last person to flouder on the dance floor is Peggy.

Although this blog might have floudered just a bit..??
I am EAGER to understand what you all INFERRED from this rambling that was hopefully not ANNOYING.


Wow! That was enervating...nope...I mean energizing!

1 comment:

ylmurph said...

this is more of a phrase...but when someone says, "I could care less" - I always say, "You mean, you couldn't care less"
-not sure why it bugs me...

also, "I'm going to itch my back"