Friday, March 17, 2006

I Have a Lot in Common with the Amish





Amish people seem to be widely misunderstood. (Most people don't understand ME, either!) Of course, we all seem to believe tha that anyone who is "different" than we are MUST be weird, strage or crazy. When I lived near Boston, I visited an Amish community and gained a bit more of an understanding and appreciation of their lifestyle. Many of their beliefs and methods make sense when scrutinized.

They are a descendants of the Mennonites, who are in turn, a descendant of the Catholic religion. (I can tell that because the Amish have different rules depending upon the community itself. Some allow for the use of a 12 volt battery or basic generators or phones if they are outside the house....some have even split with their community over arguing the width of a man's hat brim!)

Being raised Catholic I rather understand why some would separate from their teachings. And the whole non-technology use that they believe in, I can work with.
I certainly am technologically-challenged, needing assistance with turning on my hair-dryer ~ or a light switch..and trying to keep track of all the remotes for my numerous TV's and video contraptions is beyond my grasp of understanding. Using the microwave is like learning how to fly a 747, ..so I just eat fruits and veggies. (Or swing by McDonalds for a tasty, healthy treat)

Their views on dressing simply to avoid attention would be easy enough for me to implement. My clothes right now are like a uniform, in that I wear the same thing that is comfortable again and again....and no one ever compliments me on my style of clothes....so they must not call much attention to me. A friend of mine who married an Amish man, said she couldn't abide wearing the "coffee filters" on her head (HER words,not mine) ~ black "prayer hat" if you're single and white if you're married. Black is an ok color for me so I wouldn't mind.


The only trouble I might have is with the transportation issue. I'm not good with horses. One kicked me in the side when I was 13 years old and two weeks later I suffered a burst appendix and was given the last rights (The Catholics changed the name of that like they change everything else..it is now the "Sacrament of the Sick".)
I've been skiddish of horses ever since. Maybe I could get a team of dogs to pull my buggy...I'd need no oil changes or tire rotations...just a ton of dog food.
I DO like and rely on my car...it gets me where I want to go pretty quickly ~ like to the movie theater..only 10 minutes by car...about 6 hours by buggy. And I don't think I would be allowed to go in (the electricity thing).


One of the biggest reasons that I can relate to the The Amish ~ their members don't believe in vaccinations and isn't it interesting that their children (they average 7 per family due to no allowance of any birth control) have NO AUTISM!
Could that be a coincidence? With over 200,000 Amish in this country?

Of course, I want it all...all the comforts of electriciy ~ and the handy communications with my cell phones and computer emails...the useful zippers, velcro and buttons that I take for granted. But I have an admiration for people who value their religion and family to the point of heavy-duty denial of modern conveniences.

I am now going to eat my microwaved popcorn in front of my 50" TV and watch a rented movie on my DVD player while ironing my new purchase (on sale) royal blue slacks with a zipper.

5 comments:

ylmurph said...

I think the Catholics are now calling slacks - pants
It was part of Vatican 19

Peggy Murphy said...

What???? Do you get your facts from reading The DaVinci Code?

Anonymous said...

i am pretty sure mennonites descend from the amish

Peggy Murphy said...

Nope..the fella that started the Mennonites was a disgruntled Catholic..then there was more disgruntlement with the Mennonites..and that produced the Amish. (Do you really think I would write a blog I hadn't researched??) Please don't answer that!

Anonymous said...

Obviously a person with 2 much time on there hands!