Monday, March 20, 2006

Erasers can be handy at tax time



Ah, to be a kid again and use pencils with big, fat erasers at the tip...I could just erase my mistakes away, never to be seen again. When I was in grade school, I was an eraser freak (as opposed to what I am now....a "Blogger" freak..and please, no comments as to what other adjective you can think of in the "freak catagory).

I used to love the brand-new, crisply sharpened pencils with their clean, never-marked, eraser. Once the eraser tip got dark smudges on it, I would be hunting for the next clean mistake-evaporator.

I would get those little eraser nubbies all over my paper-work and at the end of the day, there was a pile of little eraser dandruff looking up at me from beneath my desk.
I felt a glow of accomplishment if the pile reached the top of my shoe.

Back then, making a mistake on paper was easily rectifiable..no big deal..use a little wrist action with the pencil eraser and life if good....a rare ability to start fresh....with a "clean slate" as it were. Boy, oh, boy..wouldn't I love to do that in real life?

If you read my blog from a couple of weeks ago, you would note that I was in ecstasy heaven when I discovered the magic of the Mr. Clean eraser. I used that puppy on every white wall between here and the river.
And those new Tide erase sticks! I couldn't wait to spill something on my white blouses! I felt like I had been "beamed-up, Scotty"!

In adult-hood I have found I long for more magic like our friend, the eraser.

If I had a magic eraser, I would erase:
Wars....hunger...homelessness.....violence...greed....broken hearts...the last 3 touchdowns that Pittsburgh scored against the Bengals....the mortgage....Osama Bin Loony-tune;....beauty pagents....cleft palates.....beets....any hurt that I caused anyone......
and maybe just a couple of zeroes from the total tax bill I owe this year.

2 comments:

jmjana said...

peggy, i wouldn't worry about those measly little touchdowns - the steelers just know what's up. good luck with those bengals next year :)

Anonymous said...

did you know that if you rub and eraser on carpet it takes of those yucky black mistake marks! it is wonderful. like a combination of mr clean and tide to use on your favorite utensil.