Sunday, March 26, 2006

Just give me a band aid!


I almost had a nervous breakdown in the first aid aisle at Krogers grocery store the other day. I went into the Pharmacy department to acquire an assortment box of band aids. I just wanted ONE box of different sizes band aids! That's all. That box would probably last me about 10 years worth of cuts, is my guess.
As I gazed upon the 5' X 15' jammed-packed shelves of various band-aid products, I felt like I was Alice in Alice in Wonderland when she fell down the hole...
the choices that I had were monumental ~ for one box of band-aids!!

Did I want: anti-biotic or not? Multi-color, flesh tone or sheer? Did I need advanced healing or normal slow healing? Did I want butterfly? Small, Medium, large, extra-large or gigundous?
Was I in the market for: flexible fabric; spot band-aids; knuckle-finger-tip; tough strips (vs. weak, flimsy strips I guess); blister (with or without cushions)...
maybe I wanted a liquid bandage (I couldn't figure out if I was supposed to DRINK it to relieve the pain?)
oh, then....eeeee gaaaads!
THE KIDS SECTION!

MORE CHOICES!
Hurt-free, non-stick (teflon coated,maybe?) band-aids (why is this only in the KIDS section? Shouldn't ALL of these products tout HURT-FREE??);
Our little ones who need a band-aid can be soothed by Batman, SpongeBob, or Scooby-doo to help dry the tears of a boo-boo; or maybe Dora the Explorer or Barbie or Care Bear can help ~ and we cannot forget we have Spiderman and Sesame Street characters to distract the pain!

At this point I was starting to hyper-ventilate over all the choices that I had. I was shaking from head to toe...the pharmacist happened to notice me as I was gasping audibly and apparently distracting other calmer customers. I found him rather rude when he asked if I was waiting for an anxiety medication prescription to be filled.
That remark slapped me into shape and I proceeded to calmly grab the first roll of gauze and tape I could find, headed for the wine department, paid for my purchases and drove home...all the while promising myself I would be very careful around the house not to need any kind of first aid. Although I keep thinking back that Scooby-doo would look kinda cute on my arm...

3 comments:

ylmurph said...

in our house, those are just really expensive stickers. Slightly more expensive than the dozens of self adhesive stamps that Grif has placed all over our house. He put enough on a dresser to actually mail it...

ylmurph said...

the ouch-less bandaids are ouch-less because they fall off and dont stick to anything, unless you use a postage stamp to hold it in place

Anonymous said...

oops that last one was me not sean