Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Give me a LITTLE credit, for gosh sakes!



Everyone knows that finance charges occur when one does not pay the balance on their credit card. But I just learned this little known fact after 55 years. The credit card companies have been sending me cards left and right (ok, not really left and right..just in my mailbox which is near the driveway)..and then they send me checks to write against my account and they claim I can spend as much money as I want and I'll be charged 0% interest!! WOW! a FREE loan?? Christmas every day! I thought "how nice of this big company to do this for lil ole me! I must be special! Sometimes they do charge a LITTLE interest for 6 months...maybe 3-5%..still great stuff! Because of my new best friends with the credit card companies, I have bought a new car; new TV; camera; airline tickets to Europe for the family;re-enrolled in college to get my Masters degree;..I TRIED to buy a new house but I guess that put me a LITTLE over the "limit". Bummer.

THEN I awakened from my land of lala. I noticed that the formerly low, low interst rates shot WAY up..
Maybe they wanted me to help build each home office a new wing somehow with my interest contributions. I also saw that two cards had an annual fee. What? I'm going to pay $35.00 for the PRIVILEGE?? to carry their card so they can bankrupt me with their HIGHER than Joe Cocker finance charges? GRRRRRRR...

Of course, I put on my best "Nanny" tee shirt to get in the mood of intolerance to anything but what I wanted to achieve...and I started dialing. Out of the 4 credit card companies that I contacted, the two with annual fees dismissed the fee upon hearing that I wanted to cancel my card. (I've never been called "Miss Murphy in such a sweet way since the restaurant manager asked me not to sue when I found a finger in my chili) Three of the four consumer-friendly companies lowered their ridiculous finance charges 3+ points or more (one lowered the rate 7 points) and the other one...well, let's just say I don't carry THAT particular card anymore.
Then I called my cable company and cellular phone company continuing with my threatening attitude to have them comply with my demands..or as a Jerry Springer guest once said, "I gave them a verbatim"
What a great day I had! Power surged thru every cell...
now I have to figure out how to pay off the balance of these fool cards so I don't even care what the finance charges are!
Goodbye Home Shopping Network!

No comments: