Thursday, March 23, 2006

One Lousy Day


When one says they have a bad day, I always think, "Compared to what?"
Compared to what the people in foreign countries are going though with the threat of bombs ripping there homes apart? Compared to the victims of earthquakes, hurricanes, flooding and mudslides? I think I get this attitude from my Mother (yep, get out the amateur psychologist manual)...........when I would balk at eating my lima beans, she would lay the GUILT on me by saying "The starving children in Africa would lOVE those lima beans!" Well, first of all, I was 5 years old and I didn't know where Michigan was, not to mention Africa! I had never seen someone starving, so in my reality...it didn't exisit. My world consisted of whether I would get to see Howdy Doody or not...and what time my Dad was coming home from work and whether my brother would let me play "war" with his toy soldiers or not.
If I were "blogging" then...those would be my subjects and my limit to a bad day would include the loss of those privileges.

As an adult, my bad day yesterday consisted of:
Finding my car had a flat tire as I was racing out the door to go to a Doctor's appointment to see if they can find why I have been sick for 3 months..
Finally getting to the Doctor to only be stuck by the needle of Doctor Dracula for the 4th time to "run just ONE more blood profile".
then getting a call from my accountant to tell me I shouldn't have bought that new car last February....and that if I sell it I MIGHT have enough to cover my tax bill.

But all that pales in comparison to the call I got from my nephew's 6 month pregnant wife, Annie (she multi-tasks as one of my best friends) to tell me she is taking their 5 year old, Griffin, to the hospital due to a high fever...(I don't recall the exact temperature because anything over 98 degrees is going to be 156 degrees in my mind)
Of course, I react calmly...(HA!...I had the Irish whiskey off the shelf and, of course, I would forego the use of a glass). Frustration is knowing since my illness has not been definitively diagnosed, I should not be around a pregnant woman or vulnerable children so I had to wait it out...in the comfort of my home.
Waiting for the word on an ill loved-one or the results of a medical test is a killer...it should rank among the top stressors of all....

I called Annie's cell phone abut 64 times, thinking she could put me on speaker phone so I could help the Doctors make their diagnosis. Thank God, Griffin is ok...his temperature near normal..
but he's got a strep throat.
That can be managed..

Todayis another day...
I'm off to pick up my car from the shop...and ~ at least I have the money to pay my taxes..and I'm sure I just have a bad case of the flu...and my family is healthy again. Life is God...whoops...I meant GOOD ..must have been a blessed slip of my typing talents,eh?

No comments: