Thursday, March 02, 2006

Love means never having to say you're Sorry???

Oh, dear. Oh, gosh oh gollee. Oh, what a goofball I can be from time to time.
I said the words that I have always dreaded from others:
"SO, WHY HAVEN'T I HEARD FROM YOU FOR A WHILE? IS YOUR HAND BROKEN? CAN YOU NOT SPARE A 3 MINUTE PHONE CALL TO TALK WITH A FRIEND? ARE WE NOT FRIENDS ANYMORE?"
Ok, I didn't say all those things but I think I said something that could have been construed as almost as bad.
It turned out that she had been battling a huge problem on her family home front and was up to her eyelashes with trying to help her son thru quite a challenging "situation"...and here I am calling to put her on a guilt trip. No wonder I hadn't heard from her!
I used to have some grief given to me by my Mom, when on occasion, she would get on my case for not writing or calling enough when I was in college or living in Boston. My mature response was, "Love means never having to say you're sorry".....I always liked using trite phrases to suit me when it was in my better interest to do so. I would also tell her that if she started a conversation chastising me for something, it was a waste of time and also didn't encourage me to call again anytime soon. Who wants to get blasted in the first few minutes of a conversation??
So, it wa a good lesson for me. Life doesn't revolve TOTALLY around me.
And I have no trouble saying, "I'm sorry"..

3 comments:

ylmurph said...

Madge,
I'm sorry I always beat you in Ping Pong.
me

Peggy Murphy said...

to: ylmurph -
I'm so very sorry that you are so delusional.
Aunt Madge

Peggy Murphy said...

to: ylmurph -
I'm so very sorry that you are so delusional.
Aunt Madge