Monday, May 08, 2006

The WORST Travel Game!




I can remember my parents suggesting all kinds of travel games to play in the car to keep my brother and me from being bored. Apparently Mom and Dad didn't care for the kicking of the seat or the "quit touching me"..."I'm not touching you"..and of course the every day good ole stand-bys -"I have to pee"....and..."how much longer 'till we get there?"

When we were kept busy looking for various State license plates or finding signs with the a-z alphabet letters in them, we forgot we were bored ~ at least for 15 minutes!

However..some games are not to be played...especially with adults.
A friend of mine (age 55) and one of her equally ancient friends recently made a trip to Gatlinburg (about 6 hours) and her friend suggested they play a game to pass the time. (Conversation must be over-rated by some)

The game was...stay with me now....to try to find the numbers 1 through 100 on signs and license plates....in order. The numbers had to be in order within the license plate or sign..i.e. license plate has 14236...if they were looking for 23..it is within the license plate and in the correct order.
(This would drive my 38 year-old OCD nephew WILD)

They started this lovely game at 10 a.m...arrived in Gatlingburg (aka World's Largest Gargage Sale) at 4:15 p.m. and they were only at the number 34!

My friend was so "over" playing this game that she was about ready to scream.
It seemed as though any time they started discussing a somewhat interesting topic, the soon-to-be-ex traveling companion would scream "there!...there!! Number 12! Write that down!!" She would get so excited, she would nearly drive off the side of the road.

It seems as though playing the game TO Gatlinburg wasn't enough for Ms. Drive-by-numbers woman. She insisted they try to attain the game goal of 100 before reaching the Ohio border on their return! She claims it hadn't been done in less than 9 hours by anyone east of Alaska or some fool "made-up" story. Maybe she was hoping to submit thie accomplished feat to the "Guinness Book of World Records"
(Although someone would have to had been drinking a lot of the Guinness to appreciate this..don't 'cha think?)

All I know is that my poor friend has returned walking aimlessly with a dazed sort of far-a-way look in her eyes. She keeps mumbling "I'd rather play bingo..I'd rather play bingo."

Ah, to be a child again...sigh.....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We always knew counting wasn't all it had been cracked up to be...

ylmurph said...

I love car games...but that one sounds awful

Anonymous said...

we have that dont touch me, i have to pee, how much longer funness on the way to school everyday...school is 10 minutes away. no wonder i am cracking up.

Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»

Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»

Anonymous said...

What a great site, how do you build such a cool site, its excellent.
»