Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Omelet of Your Choice



Sometimes when I'm at a social gathering, I will try to get people to talk about a word-subject that normally wouldn't be discussed in a party atmosphere. Part of the reason that I do this is that I am rarely comfortable in large groups where conversation is limited to surface subjects like the weather...
i.e. "boy, it's gonna be another hot one today"...or..."my grass is suffering big time with this crazy weather"...or.."gosh the Reds are blowing it again this year..yup, yup, yup."

So, I position myself with a few women who will talk about most anything.
Try it..
SHOES....
just ask how many pairs of shoes a woman has in her closet..and that's good for an invigorating 45 minutes and will endure sometimes until people are in the driveway, boarding their chariot to head home.
i.e...."now you've got me thinking..I'm going to go home and count those shoes and let's all email each other with a total count..should we include clogs? sandles? swim shoes?...in fact, we can have a little wager to see who has the most...and no, you can't count anything over 45 yars old".....

Most recently I tried the word "omelet" on a group of un-suspecting victims.
By the way...for novices at this..any food item is always good as a subject.

First we started with the spelling of the word as both "omelette" and "omelet" are acceptable. (there will usually be ONE stickler in the group who will knock down their Great-grandmother to find a dictionery to read the correct spelling and definition of the topic word.)
Sometimes that is followed by the origin of the theme word. When this happens, I know the party will be short-lived for me.

After the spelling lesson, the "meat" of the discussion leans from various choices of ingredients in the creation to "My Mother used to make it with......" (any time cooking is mentioned, Moms are always brought into the conversation)

With omelets, one can put ANYTHING in them and call it an elegant cooking title....
I accidentally burned an omelet with raisins, peanut butter and coconuts in it and I called it "Flambe' Surprise" (of course someone had to look up the spelling of "flambe'"...)

Food can be an emotional subject for some...and when people start to raise their voices, I know we're in for a good old-fashioned knock-down-drag-out argument...er..."discussion"...and that usually centers around the voting for which restaurant serves the best omelet.
I've seen people nearly come to blows over whether the cook at The Waffle House in West Chester cheats and uses 3 eggs instead of the menu claim of just TWO to make them fluffier than Richard Simmons' walk.
"Maybe he puts a secret ingredient in the blender to make them that "airy"...who knows whether he puts something in them that could be bad for us!"
"Waffle House isn't a restaurant, it's a Grease House and ...it should be dis-qualified."

As for me, I sit back and listen to the rantings and ravings of what I have instigated...in-depth conversation about brown eggs vs. white..cage-free vs. organic, whether dairy is good for us, etc.....and I could care less.
I've managed to insite a near riot and the party now has a little spark.

AND I can just rely on getting my weather and sports results from the News at 11....

8 comments:

ylmurph said...

I liked the irony in your dictionery comment....very nice

Anonymous said...

i think it is omelette and the ihop has the best. did you know they put some of their pancake batter in their omelettes to make them fluffier? fluffy food is the best.

Peggy Murphy said...

Aren't YOU the one who didn't know how to spell "cataloupe"???

Anonymous said...

no, i know how to spell cataloupe and i know how to spell sucess too.

Peggy Murphy said...

well, poor caNtaloupe is getting a bad wrap...
it won't be suCcssful at anything..
glad I have a dictionery...just loousy spell-check

Anonymous said...

Pretty Peggy, I am sure that any party, which you might attend, would have plenty of spark the moment you arrive.

I do like your ideas for conversation, and I'm not telling you how many shoes I have. Do boots count as shoes?

JC

Peggy Murphy said...

Now, c'mon..flattery will get you everywhere...

re: "boots"...depends on how fashionable they are. Are they snow boots..sh__ kicker/western boots..or little baby booties?
You can't get around it..Jan, you are among the over 50+ crowd...owning more than 50 pair...admit it!
Join the club..we all stand up and say, "Hi, my name is____and I am a shoe-aholic"

Anonymous said...

Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»