Friday, May 05, 2006

Run For The Roses.....Really?



Now, come on. I know there is a lot of hype about the Kentucky Derby and I've heard the famous phrase "Run for the Roses" 12,000 times. And at the end of the race, the photo opp shows the horse draped with a blanket of 2,456 roses.
First, I wonder if all the thorns have been removed.

Second and more importantly...does anyone really think the horse, the horse's owner, the trainer, or the jockey care one hoot about these roses? Does one of these afore-mentioned people dream about getting this horse and jockey adorned with this flower in the height of allergy season?

Who thought of this as a prize? Don't you think they are much more interested in the prize money? There is $2 MILLION dollars at stake here!! But I'm sure the horse and jockey are running their whipped butts off for a whiff of these enticing roses.

How do they get 20 horses to get that excited over this long stem thorny flower?

I hope they give them lots of Nasal spray...

and by the way..does anyone remember the last 3 winners of the Kentucky Derby and what the winning ticket paid out? Or is this race just a race for the mint julip?

I'm betting on the 4th horse...I like the name.

Now I am going to water my daisies..now THAT'S a flower worth racing for!

5 comments:

Linda said...

Good morning Jockey runners...
2003 Funny Cide paid $27.60 straight
2004 Smarty Jones paid $10.20 straight
2005 Giacomo paid $102.60 straight...gee, I wish I had bet that one!!

I understand you are cheering for Sinister Minister...Hmmmmmm 12-1, personally my favorite is Sweetnorthernsaint 10-1...
Oh yeah, those 2,456 thorny roses last year were worth $667.59 a piece...
Certainly wish I had a rose garden...
Catch you later in the Winner's Circle!!
Love ya!

Peggy Murphy said...

I must have had too many Mint Julips....I'm considering planting roses.

ylmurph said...

it's like when players from a real sport say they're playing for a ring. I think they're just playing for the Super Bowl...and lots of money.
I heard a guy who has won 6 NBA championships say that he'd trade it all to have Charles Barkley or Carl Malone's career...and they always say the opposite.
The roses always smell sweeter on the other side of the street...

Anonymous said...

i was at several derbys and cant remember anything...perhaps the mint julips are to blame

Peggy Murphy said...

Are you sure it was the Kentucfky Derby and not "Ed's Derby and Drinks" bar?