Friday, May 05, 2006

Earn a Degree at the Pool



I just returned from spending a month at Disneyworld for "mature" adults...and when I say "mature", I'm not talking emotionally ~ I'm talking OLD. One cannot buy property at The Villages near Orlando unless one is 55+ years.
(note: yes I am 55 but I am not mature!)

The Villages is an area that covers almost 30 square miles and has 50,000 active seniors riding around in golf carts and playing every game known to mankind.
As a resident there you have the honor of paying $125/month to have access to all the 1200 free weekly activities from softball to billiards to water volleyball to bingo to tennis and bocci ball and pickelball to air rifle to country line dancing to accessing some 32 restaurants that have REALLY Happy Hours!

There are 21 swimming pools...13 of them are strictly "ADULT ONLY"..and they are serious when they say ADULT...one has to be 30 years old to dangle their toe in those pools.
The 7 "family pools are for the youngins' visiting but there is a rule that no one under 21 can stay more than 3 weeks..(at the Villages, not the pool)

Since I was renting a condo (called a "villa" there...much classier I presume?)...I was considered a "resident" and had access to all the amenities. I took full advantage of the swimming pools and can now say I think I can apply to med school and be able to waive 90% of the classes and earn my M.D.

There are two kinds of adult pools...one either chooses to go to the "social" pool or the "exercise" pool and believe me, never the twain shall meet. I tried to swim a couple of laps in the social pool one day and a floating senior citizen sternly informed me in no uncertain terms that this pool was a social pool and if I wanted to exercise, I should paddle off to one of the exercise pools!

The "social"pools area where people hang out in their noodle floater chairs and talk, and talk and talk..and then you know what they do? They talk some more!
And the subject "du-jur" was ALWAYS health-oriented....operations...Doctor reviews and recommendations...what size tube was stuck where for what test...what medications have what side effects...what over-the-counter recipe is better for warts...what works best for sexual dysfunction..and then I got out of the pool.

I'm happier now dancing in the privacy of my home to Richard Simmons' "Jiggling to The Oldies"....I don't need an M.D. degree right now...just a few inches off my hips, thank you.

No comments: