Tuesday, May 09, 2006

I Don't Trust That Slot









There are all kinds of slots..and they are everywhere.

A Night bank depository slot ~
The video return slot ~
A Drive-up library book return slot ~
Those Post Office blue box slots that accepts letters...of a minimal size ~
The counter-top Charity plexi-glass boxes that have a such a tiny slot, dimes are the only currency that can wiggle it's way into the receptacle ~
And let's not forget the charm and romance of the evil one-arm-bandit slot machine that has fulfilled dreams on occasion but bankrupted many more.

To say an overused phrase: "If we can put a man on the moon.....why can't we______
(fill in the blank)...MAKE A SLOT THAT ACTUALLY WORKS WITHOUT AGGRAVATION!

The night-time bank depository slot is tighter than Jack LaLaine's 1962 t-shirt, and the little tiny envelope that is SUPPOSED to fit in that miniscule slot, will surely be destroyed by the slot monster eating the deposit and chewing it into cracker-crumb pieces.

Now the Video return and library book drive-up slots are so ridiculously small, one has to have not one, not two ~ but THREE hands to manage the weight of the slot mouth that will surely slam shut with hungar before you have slid your 12 videos or 15 books safely inside. (Who ever rents or borrows just ONE video or book?)

Do the engineers of these slots not live in our same galaxy?

And forget the Postal recepticles. I always have an over-sized package or envelope that is just outside the regulation measurements for me to use their "handy slot" for mail. I then have to wait in line for 46 minutes to hand the non-conforming envelope over to a Federal Employee who makes $27.00/hour to turn around and throw it into their container...that just so happens to have been designed to accomodate a package as big as an outhouse.

My only slot I like...the slot machine in my basement that I can adjust to pay-off big time....even if it is look-a-like quarters.

Hmmm..now that I think about it, even those coins get stuck now and then.

Maybe I'll come back in my next life as a slot designer...or the TV show American Inventor will see this blog (yeah, right) and someone will deliver a Jetson-type device to automate this problem.

Crud! I just returned home from trying to buy a USA Today newspaper..my 75 cents got eaten by the coin-mech slot and no newspaper! See what I mean?

2 comments:

ylmurph said...

I still don't get owning a slot machine that spits out fake coins... If you were shooting things, driving things, jumping over things - that's one thing.... but you're pulling a lever. A 3 year old can play it. It's like a really expensive pack of cards and you keep turning over cards and celebrate every time you get the 5 of spades...

my favorite line: "tighter than Jack LaLaine's 1962 t-shirt"

Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Good job. Go on.
»