Thursday, May 04, 2006

Best Husband? Pediatrician?




Here I am - 55 an unmarried.
Maybe I should try this on-line dating service that boasts that they can get Kathy Griffin, Carrot-Top and Hannible Lecter a date...

But can they get ME a date?

When I think about the perfect mate, I think of an old boyfriend (yeah, by this time he is as old as I am)...and he became a PEDIATRICIAN.
Now when I dated him and we went to two high school proms together, he was barely out of diapers himself. (whoops..I don't mean he had a problem in that area, I was just trying to make a point that he had probably been in a Pediatrician's office just 4 years before we dated!)

Do you "freeze-frame" memories? It can be un-nerving...like, when you see a friend's child who was 6 the last time you saw him and now he is 22 and all that you can remember is seeing him swinging on the rope in his underwear over the pond in 1994?
Then you can't get over seeing that image in your mind's eye as you observe this now grown-up 6 yr-old bridegroom ready to take his wedding vows..whew!
That freeze-framing stuff can be really distracting!

So, back to my Pediatrician boyfriend...who is not..but anyway...
I freeze-frame a picture of John as he was in Latin class.
He wasn't anything like what I envision today a Pediatrician being, unless Pediatrician's hold their hand under their arm and squeeze violently to make funny noises..or hold pencil in their mouth and see if they can flip it in the air and catch it with their fingers. (Latin class was kinda relaxed. We had a substitute teacher most of the time as Sister Mary Sing-a-long was busy with the choral group a lot)

I freeze-frame John's nervousness and he gave me his first kiss..on the cheek.
I freeze-frame his goofy notes that he used to leave on my car where we both worked at the Ramada Inn kiddingly, asking me to marry him on July 4th.
I freeze-frame July 4th, coming out of work and having JUST MARRIED signs all over the decorated car and driving off hearing the 37 cans creating the biggest noise to be heard for miles.
I freeze-frame his humor, his wit, his gentleness and his love of life.
Ah, I guess he would have made a GREAT Pediatrician.

Do you think E-harmony.com has any Pediatricians?

Hmmm...the one I would probably get wouldn't take me to dinner and the theater.
Instead he may take me to see the movie, "Bambi" and give me a lollipop if I didn't talk during the show.

Back to the bars.....

2 comments:

ylmurph said...

hmmmm... bars or e-harmony? That's a coin flipper

Anonymous said...

i think it is probably good that we weren't in latin class together.