Thursday, October 05, 2006

Making "Cents" of Grocery Store Pricing















I noticed that a 20 ounce bottle of any Coke product is $1.29 at the local grocery store. A 2 liter coke that is 67.6 ounces is $1.39.
Heck, the extra plastic surrounding the coke and the larger label has to cost a dime more, never mind the fluid within!
That is a HUGE difference!
Per ounce - the 2 liter costs is 2 cents/oz......
vs. bad boy 20 ounce bottle = 20 cents/oz.

I don't think an ounce is even a swallow. Wait. Let me try.
Whoops, I was wrong... it is. Not that I drink soda pop. It is bad for anyone. Especially the aspartame added. (see www.mercola.com and look up aspartame)
I was merely sacrificing myself for scientific purposes.

I love to compare per unit pricing in the stores.
Go to the toilet paper section. (excuse me..the "bathroom tissue" section)
When the package goes from 1 roll at 38 cetns per unit to 48 rolls at 4 cents/unit..you had better be paying attention.
I've experienced a "ON SALE" item that is 4 for $5.00. Then you see that you can buy ONE for $1.00!
And how many of us FALL for the old "2 for $1.00"? I only NED ONE..I only WANT ONE..yet I buy TWO because it will get me "a deal"! Of course when I go through the checkout line with ONE, it cost me 50 cents or 51 cents..so what is the big deal?
Well, I can always say, "well, I got it on sale" like my Mother said every single time she bought ANYTHING.
Tsk, tsk..those tricky, sneaky marketers.

Buyer beware.
Now if I could only figure out how to price my book. 1 for $12. 2 for $25.?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At those prices, how could I afford NOT to buy it? I'll take 47 copies, autographed please.

jmjana said...

um, how come you haven't done a tribute blog to me?