Monday, October 30, 2006

The Longest Hour of My Life



I am normally extremely comfortable in social situations. But then again, most of my socializations are around adults ~ or children who are related to me, thus I can be myself.
Today I journeyed WAY outside my comfort zone and was pursuaded to help with Griffin's one hour Halloween kindergarten party.
(I may never forgive the pursuader)
Since it was, after all, a Halloween party, I thought that I would get in the "spirit" of the occasion and dress up a little. I grabbed a Mickey Mouse apron, chef hat and spatula. Simple, yet festive. (I thought)
When I was picked up by my niece and her well-behaved 5 year old, Annie laughed at my appearance but Griffin wouldn't speak to me. Later he confided that HE thught that everyone in the whole class would laugh at me. I told him, "that was the point..to have FUN..."

I had brought along my camera because my intention was to simply enjoy snapping pictures. I never dreamed anyone would ask me to actually help out.

There were about 9 drafted parents to lend their help, so I was certain that no one would even notice I was there.
Well, the celebration included not one, but TWO classes of 5 year-olds. Their schedule of fun included having each of the forty-four munchkin participants spending 11 minutes at FIVE different "activity-stations".

I was trying to stay out of everyone's way so I sat close to the windows (planning an escape route) when the "head party-planner Mom" threw a bag of stuff at me, pointed at a nearby miniature round table and instructed me to handle the making of "creative" spider cookies,
("oh, crap", I breathed)
I was panicking...then I finally caught Annie's eye across the room and motioned her to get over here and take over. She actually hurdled over 3 tables to get to me ~ MAYBE becauseI might have given her the impression with my wild, desperate, out-of-control sign language, that a blood-curdling screaming was about to commence.
Do you know that Annie opened 12 juice boxes and spiked the little straw in the containers, before I could manage ONE?


She had calmly and swiftly taught 5 rounds of seven kids how to decorate their cookie like a spider, all the while making clever 5 year old chit chat, and still managed to distribute the needed paper plates and napkins. She then wiped their little faces, cleaned the table and ushered in the next group without missing a beat.
Meanwhile, I sat frozen....and in awe.


I DID manage to take a few pictures and help two kids shed their cumbersome costumes.
I swear that the clock had stopped because the one hour that I had committed to lasted at least 2 days.

Me and my apron and chef hat went home and took a long nap.

God bless young Mothers.

1 comment:

jmjana said...

i would have given my left arm to be you! i LOVE that you got to go see the kiddies' cuteness and have i ever told you i want to be annie when I grow up?