Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Stupid Flies


The summer has arrived full force here in southeastern Ohio.
The thunderstorms and 90 degree temperatures have announced their arrival this week. Other un-welcomed guests have appeared as well.
The HOUSE-FLY.
These pesky pests have apparently been trained at some Olympic Fly-camp. They are quick, sneaky and quiet. They are un-related to the sluggish Texas bar fly that you can catch in one hand while drinking a cold one with the other. (not that I, personally, have ever done that. I've just heard stories from my Granddaddy)

I read today that a Swiss University near Geneva has studied the intelligence of flies. The results of this research show that stupid flies live 80-85 days vs. the intelligent fly's mere 50-60 days buzzing around. The "underdeveloped neural activity" is a plus for these tiny enemies.

I just don't get this research ~ on so many levels.
1) Who would take a job investigating these fly-by-nights, anyway? Can you see the business card of such an individual? Tony Jenkins, Fly IQ investigator. That poor guy could never be successful picking up a girl at a bar with those credentials.
2) Isn't it the clever flies that out-wits, out-lasts and out-plays the fly swatter who is the last SURVIVOR?
3) Wouldn't the more intelligent fly give lessons to it's baby flies on how to avoid the hazards of getting trapped between a window and it's screen, never to draw fly breath again?

I'm thinking that maybe I should go into my own rigorous training for the summer fly-swatting contests. That's it...today I get a new fly swatter and cut down on carbs and run the stairs and do "swats" three times a day.
I'll show those flies who's got the better I.Q.

What does "I.Q." stand for anyway? (maybe "I quit"?)

No comments: