Sunday, June 29, 2008

My Namesake



My full baptized name is Margaret Mary Murphy.
I was named to honor my Dad's sister who carried the same name. Their Mother was Margaret McCabe Murphy. Dad's Grandmother was Margaret Murphy.
You get the idea.
No one was called "Maggie", "Marge", "Mags", "Egret", "Moron"....just "Margaret".

For some reason the nickname for Margaret is Peggy. Who the heck knows where THAT came from but the Irish (Gaelic) meaning is "Pearl". So why didn't they call me "Pearl"? That would be a gem of a name! (sorry, Sean, I happen to LIKE puns)

My Dad's sister Margaret Mary, named her son Edward after my Dad. She had 10 children so I think she more or less ran out of names and Ed was as good as any. But what was interesting was out of all 10 kids, all living in the state of New York, the only one who kept in touch with my Dad was his namesake.

Having said all that ~

Today I had an honor bestowed upon me that brought tears to my eyes.

3 year old great nephew Cooper has a new stuffed doggie and when asked what he named "her", he replied, "Peggy"..."now we have two!"
Maybe this honor occured because last week I bought him his first golf set and for a short time, I am high on his list. When someone gives him a discarded box to play fort in, they will be the next guest of honor.

I just hope & pray that my namesake and I will forever have a tight bond and that,
make no bones about it, I will live up to the honor.

No comments: