Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Kids Say The Darndest Things


My great-nephew Griffin is the most enthusiastic 7 year old on the face of the planet. He gets excited about watching paint dry.

He is taking his first official golf lessons with a "few" friends...ok, there are 120other kids in this FREE golf clinic that a local golf course is sponsering.
Yesterday I took him to the first session and before getting into the car he had to find his Nike shirt that "had that checkmark on it that all the golf pros wear".

He only owns one golf club..a putter and the clinic only provided a few clubs that were old, bent and/or the wrong size. I don't think they expected such a huge crowd of "freebie-takers".
Still, Grif had a great time and said he thinks he can beat Tiger Woods with a few more lessons. (He better hurry because I think Tiger is only going to be down a few months with this latest surgery he has to endure)

Well, with that kind of commitment to the "greatest sport on earth", I took him to the local sporting goods store and got him outfitted with a new set of junior clubs with a professional bag, complete with head covers and balls. He spent the rest of the day practicing his swing, making up a couple of courses (one inside and one outside) and convincing the next door neighbor pal that golf was more fun than running through a sprinkler, tossing a football or shooting baskets.

Today I picked him up for his second day of "stand for 10 minutes before htting 3 balls" and he lugged his bag out and asked if we could go hit balls after his lesson.
He then proceeded to name all the gifts that he had ever received in his WHOLE life and said that he would use this one the most.

I said, "What about your swim goggles?"
"Oh,yeah, I'll use those a lot too"
Then I named a few others, including the play station that he got from cousin Connor ~ and he admitted that they were all good.
When I asked him which was the very best present that he had ever received, he paused for a full 2 minutes (a lifetime of quiet if anyone knows Griffin)...
I said, "Well?"
He said, "Hang on...I'm thinking..."
Moe pausing...then,
"I don't have a car yet, do I?"

Sigh....

I sure hope he doesn't grow out of this miniature golf set in just one year...

No comments: