Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Fathers Day, Pop




Here's my Pop.
I miss him every day but he left me with awesome memories.




The younger of these pictures was a night that DAD had danced with some of my golf team members from Ohio University after we had played (and LOST BIG TIME) OSU.
(yeah, even though we got throttled, Mom & Dad had a party and we still did some dancing that night)

The other picture is Dad ATTEMPTING to feed Griffin ~ it was a side-splitting hysterical moment. Annie was encouraging a "who can feed Griffin the best" contest and Dad boasted that he would take first prize.
He did. It was just in some entirely different category. His "win" was getting more food in ears and a nose than Grif's mouth.

When I close my eyes, my own "picture" of my Dad is of him smiling.
He could tell better jokes than Leno, Carson, and Letterman combined...and was more entertaining. And he loved to hear about every detail of my day, my work, my life.
He wanted to know everything about his grandsons and their kids. His biggest grins came when Brian & Sean were 5 & 6 years old and they would come and give him a hug and an "I love you" without being prodded.

I picture him laughing at the fun songs my brother sang with The Irish Brigade and the times he would kid my Mom about how she pronounced "winnebago" (she would say "warm bagels").
I still think of when Pop would break out into a warm chuckle when my pooch, Bailey would snatch a treat off his shoulder.

Some of Dad's biggest laughs came at the expense of his friends of the golf course when he would win a sucker bet on the links.

Yep, I miss you a bunch, Pop. Especially that last day when you asked me if I was happy ~ and when I said "Yes" ~
sigh...
you gave me your one last smile.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.