Saturday, September 09, 2006

Take Me Out to the Ballgame (Golf., preferably)


The cost of being a sports enthusiast is getting more and more expensive. Hot dogs are as American as apple pie and baseball. But, when buying your hot dog at the Cincinnati Reds baseball stadium, does it have to cost as much as your ticket? Well, I guess EVERYTHING costs an appendage at a professional sporting stadium, right?
$4.00 for a hotdog on a cold bun and $6.00 for a luke-warm beer is just a little outrageous. (I didn't have the beer...but I know these things)
And WHY would someone pay another 50 cents on top of the crazy $6.00 to buy the same beer from a guy impeding my view (and auditory ability) of the game by walking up and down the aisles yelling lies at the top of his lungs, "Ice Cold Beer here!"? Oh, I know...because he doesn't want to miss one of the possible three hits in the 3 hours of exciting baseball.

I was given two $28.00 tickets to a Reds game. Parking costs anywhere from $10. on game day to $30. at a lot closr than 2 miles away from the stadium. I've already mentioned the ridiculous extortion for food ~ so, all in all, if two people were to attend the game and see it in half-way decent seats where you didn't need star-gazing quality binoculars, it would set you back $100. And you're not even playing! You're just watching!

Compare that scenario with playing a nice relaxing game of golf with 3 other dear friends. You actually are afforded the opportunity to PLAY the game, and you get 4-5 hours of excitement....and you can see every shot UP CLOSE, with the rare possible exception of the ones hit out of the sand as your eyes are blinded by the flying grains.
The hot dogs are $1.25 served on a warm bun. The beer is $1.50 and it IS ice cold (I DO know THIS for a fact..first hand! No discount on 4 of them, though),

In golf there is SOME excercise involved by windmilling at the 1" sphere 100+ times..and one is mentally, physically, and emotionally challenged. All this fun for $42.50 including food and beverage.

Ok, I forgot to mention one smallitty-bitty detail. One CAN get carried away with small, friendly bets with their golfing partners/opponents. This CAN result in some disturbing monetary losses that MIGHT very well exceed the $100. aforementioned amount associated with baseball spectatorship.

Maybe I should include in my comparison calculations the costs of golf lessons and driving range visits and lost golf balls.

Anyone want to go to a Reds game?

4 comments:

ylmurph said...

I'm in...although the Dragon's game would be cheaper

Anonymous said...

wimdmilling as in putt putt right

Peggy Murphy said...

YLMURPH..I'm not sitting on the ground to watch a team I don't know anything about, with a name that scares me!

Annie-belle...I know your world is ALL about putt-putt since we are the reigning champs, but...uh..er..NO.

Anonymous said...

Hey...what about shuffleboard lessons?? I think I can find an opening in my class Thursday...Hmmmm!!