Monday, September 18, 2006

The Instant Replays of Life



Oh, how I wish we could use an instant replay machine for everyday challenges.
Today I tried driving into a gas station slot for an economical fill-up (Murphy gas at WALMART..$2.00/GALLON VS $2.24 everywhere else) and a guy swerved in front of me and took my place. SO I calmly went in line behind another customer to patiently wait my turn. Then I saw the same guy leave my first choice pump and so it was free again for me to, with lightning quick driving deftness, take the place of Mr. Rude.
Oooops. The only problem was, apparently Mr. Rude was also Mr. Confused. He didn't know which side of his car housed the gas cap so he wasn't abandoning his spot, just re-arranging his car by turning it around. By the time he looked up and I saw what he was doing, I observed that my former spot behind the other car at the alternate pump now had 3 cars behind it. What was I to do?

I just started the fuel dispensing process and pretended that I didn't hear Mr. Rude/Confused now Mr. Ballistic yelling expletives to me. As he drove off, I did catch a glimpse of him and he at least waved at me...but with just one digit of his hand.
I, feeling awkward, waved a cheery hello like he was my sorority sister's Dad.
I wish I had an instant replay to see if I should have not scored the fuel or been penalized for my un-sportsman-like conduct. Should my fake wave be considered "Excessive celebration after a score"? and I'm fined or something?

I later went to Kroger's for groceries and had about 14 items in my cart. There were no other check-out lanes that had less than 3 over-stuffed carts in line and there was NO ONE in the 12 ITEMS or less line. I started to get nervous, perspiring ("glistening") and my stomach churned a bit with the possibility of doing something as edgy as taking advantage of the rules of grocery shopping etiquette.
Just as I wheeled my cart in the wrong line (with the same lightning quick deftness as my automobile skills), I felt the judgemental eyes of the cashier and the person behind me with one can of coffee upon me. I felt that I could actually hear them counting out loud the number of items in my cart. I want to call for a special ruling since three of my items were potatoes...shouldn't they count as one? I mean a dozen eggs isn't counted as TWELVE items!

OK, this is pretty crazy talk I guess...MAYBE I stayed up too late last night watching the Pittsburgh Scoreless lose. If I could instant replay that whole game, I would have gone to bed a lot earlier.

No comments: