Monday, September 18, 2006

I have no pride..I will resort to cheating to win


Last night was a devasting evening to me. I realized that I am not 25 years old ~ I am ALL of 55.
I played ping pong on a regulation table for the third time in 20 years. There were two times about 14 years ago I played for 15 minutes against an opponent who was...well, let's be kind and say....awful?
Oh, then there was the time I played on a small pp table that was for use on top of the water of a swimming pool ~ and every time my "upper torso" got "into" the game, the table "accidentally" moved and my able-opponent's serve happened to go into the water instead of on the table. Point - Peggy.

I grew in a rather competitive family and we had a ping pong table in the basement. I was the reigning champ. (Hey! This is MY movie and that's how it was!!) I had to play most people with my left, non-dominant hand or with the pp paddle in my mouth.
I have heard unsubstantiateed rumors that there was ONE night that I lost ~ ONLY due to a neck injury. I don't really recall much. Apparently I had taken one too many pain pills and someone FORCED a glass of wine or four down my throat.
But I digress.

We have a roomful of games in the lower level of our present home. Anything from air hockey to video/pinball games to bumper pool to table shuffleboard. The only real game missing was PING PONG. We finally found the space for it and after 90 minutes of 5 people trying to put the "30- minute-easy-assembly" table together (minimum of swear words...I was so proud!), we were grabbing the paddles and ping-ponging before the net was up!

Now comes the embarrassing part. The paddles have changed in the past 25 years. Mine today is sooooooooooo much smaller than "back then".
The table has gotten shorter.
The balls don't have the "sensor" that they had "in the good old days"...

~ and my little nephew Sean, (Now in his mid, er..LATE 30's) who I taught ping-pong to and coached on good table manners and no "smack talking"....challenged me to a game. (Albeit what turned out to be a very SHORT game.)

Score - 21 - 4 (and I was lucky to get 4 points)

One of three things are going to happen...

1) I return the table and paddles and balls
2) I practice every day for 8 hours
3) I ban a certain someone from ever darkening my doorstep again...

Time will tell....

4 comments:

ylmurph said...

you've always got Brian to kick around...

Anonymous said...

Let's all be honest...I really was the all around champ - seriously...I did win more than anyone.

Peggy Murphy said...

Brian..only when no one else was looking. But you have ALWAYS told me YOU have the WOrST MEMORY IN THE WORLD...now you are exhibiting it.

Linda said...

Why Auntie Peggy...I am so surprised at your, well...mmmmm, your lack of good sportsmanship. In all my years, (not as many as yours) I would have never believed you to be anything but a good sport...my, my, my, the things we continue to learn about our friends...:)