Monday, November 12, 2007

We Salute Our Veterans


I believe that some Holidays are "made up" celebrations to allow Hallmark-type companies to maybe increase their respective stock earnings. However, Veterans Day is a day that we should spend MORE time "saluting" because of the true love that is exhibited when one serves their country in uniform. When I went shopping to buy a card for my Uncle Hank, who was shot down three times in W.W.II, I couldn't find one! What's up with that?

Here are young men and women who left their homes, families, friends and loved ones to go to an unfamiliar foreign country with strangers to protect the safety and security of the same people they just left. I can't even imagine the courage it takes to do what our armed services are doing.

My parents were both Marines. Mom was a technical sergeant and Dad was a Master technical sergeant, which was one degree higher...on PAPER, that is. Everyone who knew my parents thought that Mom held the higher rank due to her strong personality and her strict code of behavior enforced around our house. My brother Dave and I used to say that we learned to march before we learned to crawl. I KNOW that I was taught by DAD how to make a bed so that a nickel could bounce 4 inches high off the tightly fitted sheets.

Dave & I used to LOVE listening to our parents talk about their experience serving our country in W.W. II. Dad would keep us spell-bound with stories that usually included the humor that was born from some scary situations. He rarely talked about the truly devastating experiences but when he did, his whole demeanor changed to a respectful, low tone.
One of the most repeated stories was his military assignment landed him in the Solomon Islands. Dad and his fellow Marines had been living in intense heat, in a tough environment with no showers or change of clothes for 10 days.
Finally, they were delivered great news ~
"Men. today you will change underwear!"
"Yeah! Yippee!" They all celebrated like it was Christmas! ~ until the announcement concluded with the words, "Murphy, you change with McQuade...McQuade, you change with Hunkler, Hunkler, you change with O'Shaughnessy....."

Ok..it's an old joke but we laughed just as had the 25th time Pop told it as the first time.

I don't agree AT ALL with this current invasion...but I SUPPORT and thank each and every person who has agreed to defend our country's freedom. I think we should take time today to teach our little ones to respect and honor are past veterans and our current service men and women.

I know that THIS is the real reason for anyone putting on a uniform.

OK, I've jumped down off my Tide Box now...

No comments: