Thursday, November 15, 2007

Four Letter Words


I used to call GOLF a four letter word...but only on the days I missed the easy putts.
Then I just relegated the four-letter bad-word moniker to PUTT.

In college some of my "class-less"-mates called WORK a four letter word.

Lately I have heard almost all of the most annoying four letter verbs being spewed on TV with regularity. A few years ago, mouths would have been washed out with foul-tasting soap (I almost typed "soup" but that was in deference to Mom's icky beef bouillon serving)if even one of those words were uttered.

Just yesterday the weatherman spoke a four-letter word and I wanted to wash his mouth out with something vile. The temperature had been a balmy 65 degrees two days ago yet he had the nerve to forecast S N O W flurries for the day. ARGHRRGHRHG!@%#*#!^@*$*($!#%!

One true story stands out in my mind as the all time most memorable rejection of a foul word.
A seven year old girl got off the bus and ran in the house to tell her Mother about an upsetting event. She breathlessly recounted how a little boy had said a very naughty four-letter word! She asked if she could repeat it but her Mom shook her head "No"...then the little girl asked if she could SPELL it to her Mother. Finally, her Mom said, "Yes, if you just spell it in a whisper in my ear.."

The little girl climbed up on her Mother's lap and carefully and slowly whispered the spelling of this absolutely intolerable word ~

"H A T E"

Now THAT IS a four letter word.

No comments: