Wednesday, November 28, 2007

No Plumber Genes (Jeans) Here


I'm not COMPLAINING but ~ if a professional charges $109/hour to fix your pipes, don't you think they could afford a pair of jeans that fit correctly so I didn't have to be "exposed" to the "great divide"?

Am I paying for MORE than just a clear garbage disposal? Maybe I got a free "show" because he fixed my pipe problem in under 15 minutes but I was charged the same as if he had spent the full 3600 seconds on four toilets, three sinks and an errant sprinkler-head instead of just one laundry room pipe. I almost asked him if he could paint the hallway for the other 45 minutes...

The trouble is that in the Murphy family we have NO ONE who can fix ANYTHING. Even the wonderful women the Murphy men have linked with have zero talent in repair work. At least they are all creative and crafty, which again, the crafty part has never been in our family gene pool.
Imagine if we need 10 hours a year of Fix-it stuff $100/hour...that's $10,000 over a ten year period of time! Maybe we should just send one family member to repair school. Wow...I can't even think who would know where to strap on the tool belt.
One family member might think it was a receptacle for a beer bottle, while another one wold think it was a handy place for a remote ~ to maybe change the TV channel to The Office.

Oh, crud...my computer is acting up. I may not be able to post this blog today.
Who should I call?
Oh, I know..the bank ~ for a LOAN

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe some of the Murphy women can't fix anything, but I don't lump myself in that category. I find I'm quite useful when I need to be. And for your reading pleasure, and to prove Peggy wrong – here are a few examples of my wonderful talents!

There was a time when I was dating someone who insisted on changing the oil in my car. After and hour, he came in the house with this horrific look on his face and stated that I was going to have to help him lift the car as he had driven it over the ramps and couldn't get it off. I simply stated - why don't you just use the jack and raise the car up. Then you could just slip the ramps out. He was quite perplexed he didn't think of this himself. Then, several hours later, he came back in the house looking miserable. He couldn't get the oil cap off the car. He had bought 4 different devises and they were either too big or too small so he was going to give up. I suggested he take the larger one and wrap electrical tape around the inside until it fit. It worked!

One of my favorite sorties though is with Mr. Brian Murphy. I was going to buy him a new tuner one year for Christmas as his didn't work and we had no surround sound. So I was on my way out to the store to go buy a new one and I thought to myself, I better check the wiring. After all - a Murphy hooked the components up. I moved a couple of wires around and Wah La! It worked perfect. Phenomenal in fact. That's when I learned, if I wanted anything fixed or working properly in our home, I was going to have to do it myself.

I was recently challenged with some electrical issues, but I did exactly the same thing Hoover did and my dad did those same things, and they didn't work. Hoover must have a magic wand. Therefore, I'm rejecting the comments that the women Murphy men marry can't fix anything!