Monday, November 19, 2007

A Two-letter Power Word


We are surrounded by negativity, right?
We are constantly reminded of what others do NOT want us to do...what an invisible force has commanded us to avoid...we see the "signs" everyday. Seeing the word "NO" is an hourly occurrence!

No U-Turn
No Soliciting
No Smoking
No Dogs Allowed
No Skateboarding
No Swimming/Diving
No Loitering
No Standing
No Fishing
No Camping
No Dumping
No Parking
No Shoes, No Shirt, No service
No Trespassing
No Talking
No Solicitation
No Exit
No Outlet
No Passing
No Right Turn
No Pain/No Gain
No monkeying around

Even when there is GOOD news, it sometimes starts with a NO...
No appointment required
No payments for six months

So (drum roll here) why is it that we have such trouble saying NO to others when we need to?
Today is the official kick-off for the six week crush of the Holiday Season. I feel like the quarterback for the Bengals stepping back to pass and my entire front line went to the sidelines for a smoke and I am facing eight 350 pound tacklers wanting to see me kiss the ground. Thanksgiving is only 3 days away and people are already winded from even thinking about the Holiday push.
The one comment that I hear most often is: I USED to love the Holiday but it has just gotten to be too much work...way too hectic.

Wouldn't it be nice to actually ENJOY this Holiday by NOT taking on too much? Wouldn't your family enjoy it more too? ~ and isn't that what the Holidays are mostly about?
So how do we create a balance so we balance our natural benevolent nature of wanting to save the world and caring for others while still maintaining a delicate balance with our family responsibilities?
Kinda simple, I think.

We need to learn that it is OK to set boundaries and communicate that.
Why is it that we will put our lives on hold or push our own duties, obligations and priorities aside, to say YES when we should say NO?
Certainly there are circumstances when someone is in dire need of our help and we should attempt to drop everything we can to assist in that. But when saying YES becomes a stress point that grows into a breaking point, we should step back and learn to use that expression that we see everyday.
NO.

We will still be loved.
We will still be accepted.
We may even keep our patience, sanity and relationship with others by saying NO when our plate is already full.

Wait, hang on..my phone is ringing...
I guess I gotta wrap this up.
It was my neighbor who called whom I haven't talked with since 1998. She needs for me to cut her grass since she has a sprained ankle. She also said it would be helpful if I went grocery shopping and ran her to the bank real quick. "This should only take a few hours...you are so sweet to help out" she said.
She continued ~ "Oh, the Doctor says that I will need about four weeks off my feet and my poodle, Daisy needs a walk three times a day and I know how YOU love dogs..."

So, I thought of making up 28 excuses ~ why couldn't I just say, "No"?
Oh, well, the exercise will do me good.
(I Mean the exercise of saying "NO"...)

No comments: