Thursday, November 29, 2007

Primary Colors


Here's a quiz for you:
How many colors are there?
Whom do we think is the authority on this subject?
Crayola crayons, of course. They hold a LOT of power, I believe.

In 1903 they decided that there were 8 colors ~ When I tried to think of what they were I kept forgetting one....
violet...
1949-1957 - Crayola changed their mind and said there were 48 colors for their crayons and fashion designers, artists and painters followed suit and added these hues to their palette.

1958-1971 - NOW there were 64 colors

1972 - 1989 - Eight more colors were added to make 72!

1990 - 1992 - They had to change the size of their crayon box once again to accommodate 80!

1993 - There were 96 crayon colors
1998 - now - 120 colors!!

In 2003, Crayola had the nerve to "retire" four colors so they could add four. Maybe someone said "enough is enough" ~ Pretty soon a four year old is going to have to carry a backpack just to carry crayons!

One of the retired colors was "teal blue" to make room for "wild blue yonder" or was it Jazzberry Jam?
I have at least USED the term "teal blue" whereas the others have escaped my lips.

Some of the colors you may not recognize are:
Piggy pink
Mauvelous
Banana Mania
Eggplant
Beaver

As some of you know, I am not the fashion queen on my street..I don't even make it close to being in the royal court. I must take after my Dad who would wear plaids with stripes while my Mom always looked like she just stepped out of Glamour Magazine. Once she said to me when I was just getting signs that gray hair was my primary color, "Peggy, please stick to wearing black and white...it's tough to mess that up."

So, when you are exceptionally bored, try to come up with just 48 colors...then keep stretching yourself until you turn "wild blue yonder" blue.

No comments: