Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thanks-Giving


Maybe some of us forget the GIVING part of Thanksgiving. A lot of us even just by-pass the THANKING part too. Many of us just get caught up with the hussle/hassle of preparing a huge dinner and not once do we stop for just 5 minutes to reflect as to how lucky we truly are.

Hallmark and other greeting card companies are not making any money on this Thanksgiving Holiday. It seems to me that this would be one of the top three celebrations of the year (Birthday and Christmas being right up there) where we should be grabbing a card to send out to those we GIVE THANKS to. I don't see that happening...

Even on other special days, how many times do we look someone in the eye and say, "Thank-you". If someone says it, the eye contact is quickly released as it seems as thought there is something way too intimate in telling someone face to face they are grateful to them.

One thanksgiving when I was about 16, naive, altruistic and hopeful, I asked my family members to turn to the person next to them and tell them one thing they were grateful to them for. Well, the jokes came flying and not one person could do it. In fact, one person actually hurt someone else's feelings trying to be funny.

Here I am thinking that thankfulness should be an everyday occurrence but I don't see a lot of that going on, present Holiday NOT an exception.

Although I am not saying this in person, I still mean it ~

Thank you, _______________ for making me laugh just at the right moments.
Thank you, _______________ for allowing me to share in the joy of your children.
Thank you, _______________ for sharing with me your frustrations and fears as well as your highlights and lowlights.
Thank you, _______________ for bringing God back into my life.
Thank you, _______________ for teaching me the recipe that I take credit for when someone raves about my cooking.
Thank you, _______________ for selling me a comfortable couch at a discount.
Thank you, _______________ for always asking me how my day is going ~ and really want to know as I go through your check-out line at Krogers.
Thank you, _______________ for working for Rumpke and picking up my trash every Tuesday morning.
Thank you, _______________ for being the best dog, pet, cuddler a gal could ask for.
Thank you, _______________ for not laughing when you saw me and noticed that I had only put make-up on one eye.
Thank you, _______________ for being the most sensitive relative I could ask for.
(I know you all think that the above sentence is aimed at you...and it is)
Thank you, _______________ for being the best, most understanding, fun friend anyone could be blessed with. (hmmm...how many think that is you? You're right)
Thank you, _______________ for your discount coupons for your world-class pizza.
Thank you, _______________ for being an annoying millionaire with the comb-over hair who makes such rude remarks that you make me realize the guy who just cut me off in traffic isn't that bad.
Thank you, _______________ for being so funny on TV that my sides hurt from laughing at your material.
Thank you, _______________ for honoring my request to be on the DO NOT CALL list and leaving my phone silent during dinner hour.
Thank you, _______________ for providing entertaining blogs that are also thought-provoking.
Thank you, _______________ for throwing my DRY newspaper IN my driveway instead of what you used to do.

Thank you, _______________ for reading this blog.
I am truly grateful.

Now, go give thanks...that's an order! You'll thank me for this advice later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for being a friend when in- law no longer was accurate.