Sunday, February 04, 2007

Is Work REALLY a Four Letter Word?


I can still hear my Mother teasing my Dad by repeating the saying, "A man may work from sun to sun, but a woman's work is never done."
I've heard people use the word, WORK, to describe enjoyment (a work of art), frustration (a toy that took twelve hours of work to assemble), therapy (let's work our problems out)and obviously, the almighty paycheck (I got a raise at work).
But the other day I was startled to see the word "WORK" used in the following health questionnaire at a Doctor's office:

How may hours do you work a week? WORK as defined as tasks which, given the choice, you would rather not do...this would include ~ childcare, housework, studying, etc.

Is any of that offensive to you or am I just off base here?
I am wondering how well-adjusted the author of that form is?

Maybe there should be more replacement titles for the following popular books ~

"Joy of Cooking" replace with "Bitch While Baking"

"The Happy Housecleaner" replace with "The Depression of Dusting"

"The Love and Caring of Children" replace with "Down with Diapers, Up with Birth-control"..(or "He'll Never Touch Me Again")

"Laundry Made Easy" replace with "I'm Tired of Tide and Finished with Fabreeze"

"Studying Made Simple" replace with "Grades are Over-rated"

"I Love My Job" replace with "Laziness is Under-rated"

I guess I am over-reacting to a simple question on a piece of paper but if people are really thinking of work as something they would rather not do, then there needs to be an attitude adjustment.
Am I right here? If not, I've gone to all this friggin' WORK here in vane..for nothing! Nada!
Then I'll be really depressed and have to go back to that Doctor's office.
I think I need more time to JOYOUSLY WORK this out in my mind.

No comments: