Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Valentines Day


I'm a little nervous about this day of celebrating love. Maybe it is the echo of the historical event, The Valentine's Day Massacre.
Maybe it's the fact that we look to cupid as the mascot of the day. Here is a child carrying a weapon and wearing nothing but a speedo, shooting at people's hearts. He certainly wouldn't be welcome swooping in to visit any public arena, including a school or library.

Can you imagine shopping at the local grocery store and there you are in the canned peas aisle and you look up to see naked boy with a bow and arrow aimed at you? Would you be thinking "aw, isn't that sweet?" or would you be calling security?

I can see a bunch of guys enjoying an adult beverage or two at the Cincinnati Bengals football game and instead of the hot dog vendor hiking up and down the stands, there is this kid streaking by with a stick that could put your eye out.
Well, come to think of it, in that venu maybe no one would take much notice.

If that same cupid-boy came to my front door and was about to "Draw back his bow..and let his arrow go..." I would be dialing 911 and as soon as lover-boy was hand-cuffed, I would be buying a arrow-proof vest off the internet, because I would be too scared to leave my house.

Sigh...maybe my romantic days are gone along with my dark brown hair.
You can keep most kinds of flowers away from me ~ they remind me of a funeral home. Chocolate isn't good for my svelte figure (one can dream, right?) and if I receive a mushy card, I suspect that someone wants something from me.

I agree with my niece, Annie-belle, who thinks the world would be a better place when people treat people with love all year long. One day in 365 of spreading love is a little silly.

Wait a minute, the phone is ringing.

Ahem. I have an addendum to write here. Great nephew Griffin just called and asked me to come over for Valentine's Day ~ then punctuated the call with "I love you". Then as I was hanging up the phone, a (cute) delivery man handed me the most gorgeous roses that I have even seen (and they don't smell like "you know what") ~ from my nephew Brian.

I'd like to say just one thing ~
I love Valentine's Day ~ even if it IS only one day.
That's a start.

No comments: