Thursday, February 08, 2007

Here's the "Scoop"










The silliest item in my kitchen is an ice cream scoop.
I don't mean silly, like I fall down laughing when I retrieve it from the drawer that I can barely open because it has so much STUFF ~ I mean silly in that an ice cream scoop is an un-needed utensil.
I have about 78 ultra-strong spoons and almost any of them could do double-duty as an ice cream scoop. Run hot water on it and it does the job. If you have a really frozen container, then just employ the "nuke for 20 seconds" method and the ice cream is perfect for easy-serving.
My spoon method actually gives me the exact size portion of ice cream that I want, as I can choose a teaspoon ("fat" chance), a tablespoon, or a serving spoon (for the giganda appetite when 6 year old Griffin is being served). Of course, there is a friend of mine who just eats right out of the carton...I guess that's another way of dodging the "scoop" debate.
Two someones who will remain nameless, (Annie & Sean Michael Murphy) broke not one, but TWO ice cream scoops of mine...the second one had that little metal flippy-thing on it which apparently was rendered useless when my microwaving of the ice cream idea was ignored. There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth over this minor catastophy...(if a catastrophy be minor) Of course, I ran right out and looked for a replacement. I went into the Kitchen Is Us store and couldn't believe the huge selection of scoops that I had! They had all sizes, shapes and even electric ones!
The person who buys THAT has to be one serious ice cream eater and I hope is not lactose intolerant!
All I wanted was a simple scoop ~ and I finally found a cute pretty pink one that set me back $12.95.
Any one of my 25 cent spoons could be it's substitute and I would bet not one person would notice ~ NOR refuse to eat that ice cream.

Maybe I should run a double-blind test on this experiment.
Any volunteers for participation?

2 comments:

ylmurph said...

I have never broken an ice cream scoop...you've got the wrong nephew, Murphy

you can however pick up one from the pampered chef party that annie is hosting in a couple of weeks

only set you back a few hundred dollars

Annie Michael Murphy said...

I didn't break one either. You have the wrong Annie.