Friday, February 23, 2007

Class is in Session



















A friend of mine recently gave birth to her third child. What a wonderful blessing to have three, healthy wee ones rounding out the family. I saw Mama Nikki about five months ago at her sister's wedding and she was uncomfortable with her added girth then. I can only imagine how whe felt during those last 21 weeks of "feathering the nest".

Now comes the lesson part ~ I ran across an interesting fact about pregnancies. Most of us think that the longest gestation period in the animal kingdom is that of an elephant ~ carrying her baby 22-24 months.

Wow. TWO years of of her moaning to her bull elephant hubby about her aching back. I wonder how HE reacts when HER hormones start raging? Does she have unusual food cravings and her spouse has to go out in the middle of the night to bring home some pickles with the bananas and mangos?

Well, I learned that there is a creature that God created that carries her young
38 Months ~ the Alpine Salamander of Southern Europe.

Can you fathom the idea of being the person who studies this species?
"What is your profession, madam?" ~
"I am a Alpine Salamander gestation observer."

Did our observer possibly discover cravings and hormonal imbalances with Mrs. A-S?
How does one know when an Alpine Salamander is pregnant?
Can she still crawl on her belly?
Does she lay on it's side for 2 and 1/2 years?

I can't imagine the male partner would be hanging around, massaging the little feet of our Mama. THAT might be a record ~ having any male stick around for that long, supporting a demanding pregnant species of ANY kind.

Whom do I call to find this A-S gestation observer?
I looked in the phone book and there was no listing.

Hmm...I'll bet Nikki AND her husband are glad that they are neither elephants NOR Alpine Salamanders.

Class dismissed.

1 comment:

Annie Michael Murphy said...

I do not accept that you have other friends with three kids and include them in your blog.