Tuesday, February 27, 2007

I Long to Move South


February has been an un-wanted visitor this year, dumping it's snow, ice, fog, and freezing weather on us. March is about to greet us with it's unknown weather for thirty-one long days. It has always seemed like March is the Marathon month of the year because there are no breaks in the action, except for the Royal High Holiday of St. Patrick's day. Teachers, students but not necessarily parents, long for a snow day or a fog delay just for a little variety. It is time to look forward to Spring break, which around here, is the week prior to Easter. What do most of us want to do during a break? Get away!

Personally, I think I'm past wanting to go south for a just week in April for a mere visit ~ to get some warmth and sunshine and spring board diving practice in like I'm in the Olympics...I need more! I need to move there! I want to play golf 250 days a year...or take a walk with only needing an extra sweater around my neck instead of 35 scarves. I'd love to learn how to sail ~ or maybe become the world's finest fisherwoman (Uh, I've only gone fishing once in 1972 ~ at a very small pond, catching a monster 4" fish).

Do you think that people who live in the sunshine state yearn to "get away"? Do you think they dream of coming up north to get windburn and bronchial pneumonia?

I Don't think so!

So, I'm contemplating moving...yep. What's keeping me here?

I would miss just a few things ~ like going to opening day at The Cone just down the street, for ice cream with the kids. I wouldn't be able to watch six year-old Griffin harrass every kid there to play with him on the 50 cent mechanical Ice Cream truck...or observe two year-old Cooper do the "ice cream dance" when his Mom pulls the car into the parking lot ~ and this year Parker will be old enough to cry when Griffin tries to steal a bite of her snow cone.

Then there is the local swimming pool. If I moved, I would miss awakening (much too early) to take Griffin to swim lessons at 7:30 a.m. ~
I wouldn't be here to feel the pain of Grif trying to learn the Australian crawl in 60 degree water, then running to me to get wrapped up in his Spiderman towel while asking me what succulent surprise I had brought him for his snack. I would miss it when he looked up at me and yelled, "Awesome!" when he saw that I packed his favorite "pretzel sticks with cheese dip".
Hmmm..now this year Cooper is old enough for me to see how his Mom will show him how to float...and it will be Parker's first exposure to chlorine and sun tan lotion.

If I lived down south, I wouldn't witness 14 year old Connor coming for a visit and attempting to beat me, his cousin, Uncle and Aunt at Miniature golf...and him trying to protect Griffin from bullies at the swimming pool who try to steal a water toy.

I would miss the family cook-outs when Sean tries to create a new cuisine-burger made from un-edible ingredients, and then attempt to beat me, witout success, at the basketball skill game of "horse"...

I wouldn't be here to see Annie dress Parker in her first sun-suit and matching sun-bonnet (Parker, that is...Annie doesn't look that good in a sun bonnet).

Let's see...maybe a quick week in Florida at spring break will be just long enough away from here after all.

2 comments:

jmjana said...

um...I think you're forgetting something...

Crave the Edge said...

you could just get Sean and Annie and the kids to move down here as well. i promise, it's worth it. every weekend feels like i'm on vacation.