Thursday, November 16, 2006

The Young Negotiator


Griffin came over for lunch today and he kept reminding me that he is SIX years old now (for the last 14 hours) and he needs new SIX year old presents for Christmas.
He spotted a TOYS R US catalog and started tearing through it with a pen, circling his favorite items. After 30 minutes, he informed me that he was done.
He had circled 55 contenders for best present for Griffin.
I asked him if he could go back through it and mark an "A" for his most, most, most favorite toys and put a "B" by his plain favorites. He dutifully completed that task in about 5 minutes, painstakingly reviewing all his previously circled dream gifts.
He placed an A on top of ...55 items. I asked if he had ANY "B" choices and he said, "No, but I TRIED!"

I attempted a different approach and suggested that he review the catalog one more time and put a checkmark by the FIVE ABSOLUTE items that he cannot live without.
He, again, took his job seriously and took 5 more minutes placing his checkmarks VERY carefully. As he started to hand me the catalog, he pulled it back and said, "Wait, can I just add THREE little checkmarks?"
When all was said and done, he had spent almost an hour dreaming, circling, marking and checking and he ended up with 22 of the 55 items as his ultimate favorites.
I didn't want to get his hopes up so I reasoned with him that he would only receive a couple of these gifts.

He looked at me, looked down, looked back up and shrugged as he reminded me that the more presents HE received, the more he could give away to kids who didn't get any gifts at all at Christmas, just like he was doing with some of his recent birthday gifts.

I'm applying for a TOYS R US credit card today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Peg,

Could you share some of that list?

Connie