Monday, November 06, 2006

A Name Is a Name Is a Name



Today a coupon magazine was delivered to my house. I was wondering about how some of the advertisers come up with their company names.
I, personally, love to see business names that actually reflect what the company is selling or providing as a service. When I look for any product, I want to utilize a company that mirrors their area of expertise through their name.
Examples: (you knew that I was going there didn't you?)

Channel #5 - I would think that product is a very small TV with one channel.
Chiquita - what an odd name for a company but I know they "go bananas" in Cincinnati...otherwise the name sounds like a small reptile.
100 Monkeys is a real title of a company.
I know they are in the field of computers but how would I know that by their name? I would think maybe they sell perfume or bananas before I would think they are software engineers.

Can you guess what kind of companies these are?
1) Walk This Way
Maybe a modeling agency? A shoe store? Nope, it's hair and nail shop. I never walk with my hair or nails, unless I let my fingers do the walking through the yellow pages.

2) America's Best Service I'm kinda hoping they may be an Army Training camp? What is the best service that America could provide? Meals to the needy? Job training? Child tutoring?
Nope..air duct cleaning.

3) Always Secure Maybe a classy diaper or femine protection product? A new deoderant pad? A breath mint?
Nope...Home security system

I do kinda like an adjective describing the company in the name so I'm either very confident of their service or, at the very least, I'm not confused:

A-1 Door Systems...good...I wouldn't want someone messing with my door who got called themselves D- Portals.

Airport Fast Park That's a better name than Parking So Slow That You Might Miss Your Plane

Gutterchamp (vs Gutter-loser)Although now that I think about it, I've never seen a televised Gutter sporting event...

Restaurants that are kinda cocky:
Authentic Mexican (Vs. the Italian knock-off taco)
W.G.Grinders has a great slogan - Anything else is half-baked!

Way out in the country you might drive by a restaurant that isn't used to advertising or elaborate marketing schemes. GOOD EATS
I like that...no doubt what they do and how they do it.

Then you have the company names that leave no question what service they provide.
This company was at the BACK of the coupon magazine....I mean, the VERY "END".....
Hemorrhoid Relief Center

I think maybe I spent way too much time coupon clipping today.

No comments: