Friday, November 24, 2006

I Slept LATE on Black Friday


Yesterday on Thanksgiving, my wonderful family came over. Eight luminous beings who brighten my day whenever I spend even a smidgen of time with ANY ONE of them!
They came at 10:48 a.m. and left at 8:36 p.m. Each one, except 5 month old Parker, pitched in and helped with all chores. We ate appetizers for 2 hours, followed by two meals and dessert. They all helped clean up so that my kitchen looked better than before they arrived. We played lots of games, both sitting and standing, although Annie and I should have RUN a bit more and maybe we could have beaten Brian & Sean at Ping Pong.
I was kidded unmercifully by "the boys" about numerous things and it reminded me of when Dave and Dad would do the same to Mom. I reacted just like Mom did, which did surprise me but it actually felt good.
At one point playing cards with Annie, Angela, Brian, Sean and Connie, I had both Griffin and Cooper on my lap and I whispered to myself, "Life is Great, God".
Uh, maybe that was AFTER I won at Wizard...

It had been along day since I had awakened a bit early to feed the dog, cat and take one of them for a walk and get prepare for the day's festivities.
When everyone left, I sat with Bailey and stared into space for an hour while I counted my plethora of blessings and shuffled to bed, tired but happy. Well, I remember waking up after 10 hours of sleep in my bed so I think I transported myself there.

So, today is Black Friday. That seems like an ominous title for a day of smiles to procure great sales on present people are buying for their friends and family whom they love.
Think about how you feel when hearing or reading some words that reflect "black"... "his face turned dark with anger"...or..."The student received 5 black marks in 15 minutes!"...or..."it was a dark and dreary night"...or..."the guy got "black-balled" from the club for marrying Madonna"...well, you get my drift.

This "Black Friday" is named bacause retailers have the opportunity to turn their 11 months of lousy "in the red" financials into a profitable "in the black" year because of people buying so many Christmas presents in one day. 365 days in the year and one Black Friday saves the world. I kinda feel like I'm not doing my part because I spend a ton on money all year at non-discounted prices and here I am sleeping in and not taking advantage of the 79% off "DEALS" I can get today.
Doesn't make sense to me.

But I am thankful that I was lucky enough to enjoy my family for a day of togetherness...but I did miss my almost 14 year old great nephew, Connor, who had other plans.

Hey, I just found (18 month) Cooper's Mickey Mouse cap in the refrigerator's crisper drawer. I TOLD you everyone pitched in to help!

1 comment:

jmjana said...

i think this is my fave thing you have ever written