Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Thanksgiving Done RIGHT


When I was growing up, my Mom insisted that I help her cook from the time I could use a step-stool to reach the counter. She was an awesome and patient teacher and never ONCE required me to react to her directives by saying, “YES, CHEF!”
One Thanksgiving, she gave me the opportunity to read the “turkey dressing” recipe for home-made turkey stuffing and add the seasonings in with the croutons she had made 3 days earlier. She busied herself on another preparation task by cooking the giblets to be added later to the gravy. The challenge for me in MY task was that I must have missed the “class” on reading her writing. Her T for Tablespoon looked a LOT like her t for teaspoon.
Instead of 4 TEASPOONS of salt, I added 4 TABLESPOONS, which for you novice chefs, is almost 3 times what is needed. Mom caught me just as I was adding the last mound of salt and she screamed like Elvis himself had just appeared in the doorway (keep in mind, that this WAS a long time ago). She tried to “fix” my salty mistake and calmed herself as she muttered something about “she’s no Julia Child”…
From then on, Mom continued to bestow upon me...all kinds of helpful ideas.

Thursday I will have 5 adults and 3 children, ages 6 months; 19 months and 6 years, over for a dinner that Mom spent 46 years teaching me to do right.
This is what I am going to do:
I will wear a whistle and as people arrive they will each be given a task to complete regarding the preparing, cooking and cleaning. They will have a time table for each entry. I will use the whistle to get attention ONLY is I need to.

Guest arrive at 11 a.m. – NOT BEFORE….I need my rest.

Dinner – 2:14 p.m.

Peg – Put turkey in oven at 9:18 a.m.
Connie – Make sure Peg keeps everybody else on track and doesn't drink too much. That could muffle the whistle.
Brian – Make sure everyone has what they want to drink
Annie – Make chili appetizer at 11:20 a.m.
Angela – Put out shrimp at 11:30 a.m.
Sean – Put out cheese and cracker at 11:30 a.m.
Keep kids out of the kitchen
Brian – Pull turkey from the oven at 1:28 p.m.
Put potato casserole in oven at 1:35 p.m.
Carve turkey at 1:58 p.m.
Angela – Put green bean casserole in oven at 1:50 p.m.
Take green bean casserole out of oven at 2:10 p.m.
Take potato casserole out of oven at 2:10 p.m.
- Make crescent rolls and put in oven at 1:58 p.m.
- Take crescent rolls out at 2:12 p.m.
Sean – Make salad at 1:55 p.m.
Annie-belle & Griffin – Dress table at 1 p.m. including butter and water pitcher
Annie-belle – Make dressing and put in microwave when you are supposed to.
- start gravy at 1:45 p.m.
Griffin – light candles at 2:10 p.m.
Sean – Pour water and wine at 2:05 p.m.

Dinner is served at 2:14 p.m.
Sean – Blessing

2:18 – Everyone helps clear dishes
2:20 p.m., Brian & Sean do dishes

2:40 p.m. games – Connie in charge

4 p.m. dessert – Angela coordinates

More games and frivolity

6 - 6:30 p.m. Ping Pong tournament ~ Peg wins.

8 p.m, Everyone leaves after cleaning up downstairs and taking trash out.

Friday – Everyone writes me a thank you note to me for all the work I did.

I’m grateful to have such a cooperative family.

Mom taught me right, and for that, I am truly thankful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

PP,

You really DO make me smile, & for that I am truly grateful! Happy Turkey & Family Day!

Jan

Anonymous said...

Why do Sean & I always get stuck with the dishes?

Where is the stuffing?

What else can I complain about?

Who did it?