Saturday, January 06, 2007

Tic Toc, Tic Toc, Where the Heck Is My Clock?


It seems as though my life revolves around time.
As soon as I awaken, I look at the alarm clock to see if I should bolt out of bed and start the day in a frenzy or ~ will the timepiece grant me a “stay of execution and grant me “just 5 more precious minutes”? It doesn’t seem like there is a happy-medium (unless you count the psychic who gets paid big bucks to bring messages from the dearly departed). I am either rushing to catch up to the clock or wanting time to move more quickly ~ i.e. watching Dr. Phil in the lobby of an auto repair shop.

I don’t wear a time-piece but I LOVE timers. Ecstasy would be to have a timer in every room of the house, guarded by a backscratcher and a nail file. That would give me such security! Of course, in the living room I would need about 4 timers. I could use one to be set to stop me reading and remind me to turn on “Dangerous Housewives”; another to nudge me in the direction of taking the garbage out by 9 p.m.; one more would allow me to double check the automatic oven-cleaner’s timer; and the last one to tell me it’s bedtime.
At this very moment, I have a timer set for 12 minutes so I can finish this article and move on to the timer that prevents me from burning the brownies and then one that reminds me not to leave the wet clothes in the washer to mildew.

I remember the time my brother asked me to tape record a radio show that he was going to be on in Columbus. He said, “just turn your recorder on about 10 p.m. Can you remember that?” I was rather insulted but shrugged it off. I figured the best way to remind myself to complete his request was to employ a method that I had read about where one slides a rubber band around their wrist. The theory is that when you looked at this foreign object, the memory light bulb would burn brightly and shine on the reminder subject. So, there I was, on my comfy couch, totally immersed in this great book, Valley of the Dulls, when I noticed this elastic on my wrist. I searched my brain as to what it was I was supposed to do and when I couldn’t remember, I figured it was there to remind me to get more sleep, so off I went to bed. Two hours later the phone jarred me awake and my brother was asking me if I got the recording. He was so happy about his appearance on this radio show as he felt that he had really been quite funny, if he did say so himself.

I’m not sure he ever forgave me.
Well, the timer just rang so I’m done here. Now, what did I say I have to do next?

No comments: