Tuesday, January 30, 2007

How Can I Get Bankruptcy Insurance?


Some people ask me why I left a lucrative career in the Insurance industry. Today I have the perfect example as to why I ran, not walked away.
I will be 56 on Monday. An early birthday "surprise" came in the form of an increase in my health insurance premium. Since I am self-employed, I have an individual policy that I pay for every month. For those of you who work for an employer who provides benefits of any kind, consider yourself blessed.
I have a $2,000 deductible and $25. co-pay for Doctor's office visits. I must spend the full $2000 in health care before I get any prescription drug benefit and then I pay $25 per prescription.
I have NO dental, vision or chiropractic benefit.
In August on 2004, my health insurance premium was $316/month = $3772/yr.
Today my renewal bill is $781/MONTH = $8,372/yr.
If this continues to increase at this rate, in 4 more years I will be spending $35,000/yr on my health insurance.

Right now I am thumbing through the policy to see if it has ANY mental health coverage because I'm about to need counseling big time.

The WHO (World Health Organization) completed a study in 2000 that compared 191 countries in the area of health. The United States is the biggest spender in health care (allocating over 20% of GDP, compared to other countries at 8-10% GDP).
Unfortunately, out of 191 countries the US ranked 31 overall and last in the 17 industrialized nations, including Ireland, Spain and France.
I have trouble even naming 31 other countries!
Guess which country has the honor of boasting the longest life expectancy? We bow to Japan ~ 74.5 years (WHO 2000 report)
United States? We ranked 24th @ 70 years. (based on those born in 1999)

I actually feel so good after venting my frustration that I'm going to cancel my annual mammogram, pap smear and colonoscopy and if I took valium, that prescription would not need to be renewed.

If anyone wants to know what I want for my birthday, it's a promise to vote in the next election for someone who can do SOMETHING about this embarrassment.
Or, money is always a welcomed gift too.

I have officially stepped down from my TIDE soap box now. Where's the Irish whiskey?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Peg,

Can't you hook up with some organization, like AARP to get a better rate?