Monday, January 29, 2007

Kiss My Grits


Is it a coincidence that the very foods that I find un-appealing have disgusting names? BEETS. Beets sounds like a food item that wants to throttle me? GRITS. Ugh. Now THAT sounds like I’m going to swallow a grime pie. CHUTNEY might be left-over snacks from the squirrel gathering? CABBAGE sounds like garbage if said by a person from Boston. (Yum) STEWED PORK HOCKS. Not only do I not want to digest “hocks”, which I can only associate with baseball players and their nervous habits, but inebriated hocks are way off my menu. Heck, I even have a problem with DEVIL’S FOOD CAKE or DEVILED EGGS. I visualize a pitchfork rising up as I approach either of those food items. RATATOUILLE makes me stutter when I even attempt to pronounce it so why would I want to eat it? RUTABEGA sounds like I forgot my wallet. I won’t even look at a SMELT, whatever that it. Because I like to be neat and tidy, it took me a long while to even take a nibble of a SLOPPY JOE. I wonder who invented that meal and would I want to even see his kitchen? I am a canine lover so HOT DOGS are strictly prohibited. NUTS and PEAS are not my favorite either. Maybe I think way too literally.
Now, on the other hand, I would swim in BEARNAISE sauce or at least, drip it on almost any other food choice, including my cereal. Who wouldn’t enjoy RELISH and HONEY (no, not together!) ANGEL FOOD CAKE and CHIFFON PIE are desserts that must float off the plate and carry no calories. DUMPLINGS are to live for and CANAPES are succulent while FRITTERS are fantastic. SWEETBREADS seem to be the exception to this food moniker hang-up I have.
Now it seems that I have developed a bit of an appetite. What will I have to eat? Problem ~ it seems that I have painted myself in a food court corner with my pickiness based upon the names of foods. Solution ~ I will visit a SMORAGSBORD without wearing my glasses and enjoy whatever! (well, maybe not PICKLED PIG’S FEET)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.