Thursday, January 18, 2007

Love in the Afternoon


My nephew (37) has a pastoral role at a great Church here in Cincinnati. Tomorrow there is a dinner party being thrown for 120 people who normally don't know when their next meal is, not to mention WHAT it will be. Sean has been asking for help from the community to provide the various items that most of us take for granted will be on our dinner plate on a daily basis.

I know that when I prepare food for friends and family, I love the "chores" of shopping, preparing, cooking and presenting. I feel like the whole process is one giant gift of love that I can show without wanting anything in return. (Ok, maybe I want just a LITTLE help with the dishes)

Take today for example ~ Sean and Annie's 6 year old son, Griffin, was at our house because he was too sick to go to school. I volunteered to watch him for the day and around noontime, I made one of his favorite lunches ~ Grilled cheese with 2 pickle spears and a sprite.
I told him that I made it with lots of love.
As he bit into his sandwich, he looked at me and said, "Peggy, I just swallowed a kiss!" After another few bites, he shouted, "I have all this love in my stomach..it's as big as GOD!"

Well, now, someone has been raising this wee one pretty darn right.
I also surmise by the way his Dad is approaching this free dinner for tomorrow night, there will be 120 people who will feel the love...and you know what? The ones providing the dinner will feel it right back.

No comments: