Thursday, February 28, 2008

Wrong Number...Honest!


I have a 1-800 number for my business and when someone leaves a message on that line, I get both an email and a cell phone notification.
Today I received a wrong number from an elderly woman (Sylvia) wanting to order 3 pounds of organic coffee. She left all her personal information (well...I exaggerate..I do NOT have her dress size), including her credit card # and expiration date and 3 digit code on the back of her Mastercard.
Obviously, I felt compelled to call her back to notify her that I did not sell coffee, organic or otherwise. The phone was answered by Sylvia's older sister, Edna. When I tried to explain that Sylvia had dialed the wrong number, Edna repeated everything I said to her sister, without letting me talk with her directly. So, I was literally "tied up" with the "coffee sisters" for five minutes while Sylvia told Edna that the number she called was the number on the can. I told Edna, who repeated to Sylvia, that maybe she should have dialed a 1-888 or 1-877 or 1-866 # instead of a 1-800 # but Sylvia, through Edna, said again, that she dialed the number on the can. She must have said it 7 times! (for once, I am NOT exaggerating)

After hearing what brand, what amount and how much she liked this particular coffee a few more times, I told Edna that I would be happy to sell Sylvia some coffee but it would be from our local Kroger's grocery store and it may not be organic ~ NOR the brand she wanted.
Edna relayed that message to Sylvia and Sylvia started reading the brand of the coffee off the label on her can and of course, Edna dittoed everything said.

I finally told Edna that she would have to call back tomorrow because we were out of her coffee today.
Click.

Now I'm kinda interested in trying this coffee....and I don't even DRINK coffee!

1 comment:

Annie Michael Murphy said...

Oh my gosh, that is hilarious