Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Roll Out Those Lazy, Hazy, Crazy Days of Summer


After yesterday's snow/ice storm I've talked with people who say, "I can't wait for the warmth of summer!" Yep. I'm "down with that" (I think that means "I agree")
When I think of summer, I think of sitting by the pool, absorbing the sunshine and then taking a float (not swim) in the water.
"I just need to relax"..."I need to chill"..aren't those phrases that spill out of the mouths of almost anyone at any day?
People (Sean) kid me about taking a lot of trips. Hellooooooo! I need "a break", Mister! (that word is very close to "minister", isn't it?)

Of course most of us have the lazy gene...more commonly called, "a remote" or a "button". Think of all the chores around the house that we used to have to manually complete..turn on the TV - remote, cook food - push button on the microwave or set the timer on the oven or use the crock pot. Laundry and dishes are washed by pushing a button. I can start my car with a remote! I can have a piano that plays FOR me!
I can push buttons to write and send communication..no more smoke signals for me.

And with all this instant gratification, comes the need to cure our ailments with a quick fix - PILL. Most ailments are stressed induced. Most experts in handling stress tell us to EXERCISE. High blood pressure, high cholesterol and bone loss can be helped by EXERCISE and a controlled DIET.

ABC had a news story about a 69 yr. old woman who was having such bad memory problems, her daughter started to look at whether her Mom needed Alzheimers care. In trying to figure out what cause this, the woman took herself off of Lipitor, a drug used to help with high cholesterol. Within 8 days, she was back to normal. She said, "I didn't want to be the person in the nursing home with the lowest cholesterol." She is regulating it now with diet and exercise. It turns out the Pfizer, the pharmaceutical company who sells this drug did know that about 2% of patients have some kind of memory problem. (we all know the jokes about how the side effects can go on and on for most drugs yet we gotta have 'em!)
I'm wondering if even 2% of people get a benefit from this medication...but that's just MY skepticism of most Rx pushers.

No comments: