Thursday, August 24, 2006

Hi, My Name is Peggy and I'm a Greeting Card Addict




I am a greeting card junkie. I LOVE to find the cutest, the most clever, wittiest, award-winning-humorous, drop-dead hysterical card for ANY occasion. I giggle as I send it off to someone who I know will "have their day made" because of my thoughtfulness.
Most recently I have found the best cards at the Thunderbird Car Wash in West Chester, Ohio. I go there once a month, not to have my car washed (they are way too expensive), but because they change out their cards that often. Sometimes I'll go in and the owner will say, "Oh, sorry, Peggy, Ginny (not her real name) hasn't come in yet this month to switch out the cards." I hide my disappointment by reviewing the stale cards I perused 4 weeks earlier and leave, only to return daily to see if lazy ole Ginny has come back yet to do her job.

I have bought cards from just about every store for every possible event. My selection goes from birthday, to graduation, to new job, to illness, to wedding, to THANKS for whatever, to new home, to new puppy, to new baby, to coping with your divorce, to "sorry they died". Kinda in that order. I actually have a mini-card store in my office so I can whip off the "sorry you broke your fingernail" card the minute I get the news.

I only buy cute, funny cards. Even for funerals. I figure there must be something to laugh about when thinking of Uncle Harold.
And forget the cards with flowers on them and sentimental sayings. I think they must be the cheapest...I had an Aunt who gave me those kind every birthday. She would hand-carry it to my parents so she would avoid paying for the postage. She would then write in pencil, "Love, Aunt Catherine...p.s. you can erase this and send it on to someone else!"
I remember getting them from her when I was in grade school! Can you imagine me passing those off on my school yard pals?

My ultimate favorite cards are Maxine cards..oh, and the silly puppy cards..oh,
and then there's the ~ "baby-talking-to-you-while-he-is-in-the-bathtub-with-another-baby-
who-has-a-funny-hat-on" cards.

I think my addiction peaked when I bought 34 singing cards at Hallmark. They have these great songs that play whn you open them...a wide variety from the 70's bubble gum to Broadway shows. The clerks couldn't wait until I left because I was there for 6 hours, playing every single one. I even left for lunch and came back and I over-heard one of them mumbling something about "why doesn't she get a life?" Ha!
I wanted to tell her, "I'm keeping you employed aren't I?" But then I found a singing card that I bought for her instead, "Keep Your Sunny Side Up". It brought her to tears (that's the best, when a fun card can make 'em cry!).
She's my new best friend now. AND I get discounts on my cards!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh great, now SHE is your best friend?

Anonymous said...

We all know who her real best friend is. :)

PS - Like my Grandfather - I hate greeting cards.

ylmurph said...

like my kids, I love what falls out of them when you open them...

Peggy Murphy said...

I know SHOMEONE who enjoys a crisp CHECK in his card vs. sappy sentiment. It IS one present that "always fits and never has to be returned"