Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Senior Moments



I remember when my 50th birthday rolled around...I received an un-solicited AARP membership card. ARGHH!!

But the sting went away as I realized I would not be enjoying TRUE senior discounts for years. AARP is just selling their membership and will probably lower the age to 35 in a couple of years. Hey, I just turned 55 in February and feel like I'm in my mid 30's (whoops, my mid-30's weren't that great..but that's another blog).

This week I felt a much bigger sting...like a mammoth Texas-sized yellow-jacket poised to munch on me big time...and it all happened in just one day.

I went to Frisches Big Boy for lunch and almost fell out of my booth when my eyes (bifoculed at that) glanced over at the Senior Menu - Age 55 and older.

WHAT?!!??!

I had actally been considering ordering a salad that would have saved me $1.20 on that "older" menu, but I decided to change my order to an entree not available to those with dentures.

I then determined that maybe at my age, I needed some exercise so I went to a local golf course that I had never played before. When I asked the golf pro how much the green fees were, he just pointed to a sign that said in big letters "Senior discount ~ age 55+ on Tuesdays"

After my golf round (yes, I used a cart, it was in the "Special!"), I headed straight to the "19th hole" to dull my "senior sorrows". I ordered a Bloody Mary from a very cheery 21 year old, size 2, former cheerleader-bartender. She served it up and said, "This is your lucky day, it's senior citizen happy hour and your drink is half off".
SHE DIDN'T EVEN ASK TO SEE MY ID!

Just as I was about to get really DEPRESSED, I calculated how much money that I saved that day.

Today, I am in a much better mood and I am writing letters to about 17 various companies that I deal with trying to convince them that they ought to lower their "senior discount" age from 60 to 55. That's My speed now and I might as well make the most of it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you didnt include any moments when you may have left your purse anywhere

ylmurph said...

oh and the size 2 cheerleader type, grrrrrr. she was probably a tramp.

Anonymous said...

wait that was me not sean. oops.