Sunday, July 02, 2006

A Child's First Business Venture



Today I stopped at a child-run lemonade stand that was a wee bit different from my first cold-drink stand. I suppose it is some kind of right of passage as an optimistic kid to at least ATTEMPT to sell something for what is thought to be a profit-maker like no other child had ever made in the history of a pre-teen business venture.

I remember my first try...I was about 4 or 5 years old and my little neighborhood friend Cathy and I decided to ask our Moms if we could sell kool-aid in front of my house.
Back in 1956, kool-aid came in packets that you ripped open and poured into a pitcher...add water and ice..find a few old cups around and BINGO!
You're in business!

We had to come to an agreement as to what flavor to sell. I liked grape and Cathy liked cherry. We settled that argument by my socking her in the eye and telling her that she couldn't be my 25% business partner unless she agreed with me.
So, grape kool-aid it was.

Next "challenge" ~ we needed a sign. I don't do signs so I made Cathy ask her Mom to produce the signage for our endeavor. I knew I could get MY Mom to help put up the card table and help me make the kool-aid (meaning that SHE did it).

The sign was made out of two pieces of paper taped together and in the middle of making the sign, Cathy's Mom had to answer the phone so Cathy had to finish it. Who knows how to spell Kool-aid at that age? Kule Ade was our business that day.

We decided that we would sell our libation for 10 cents a cup...or TWO for 15 cents.
(That idea was from my Dad...Mr. Super Salesman)
Mom suggested that we have a "bank" to provide change for our customers so I borrowed $1.25 in coins from her and off we went.

After 15 minutes, I told Cathy to take over the sales end while I checked our inventory. I went in the house and took a nap for an hour and when I returned, I saw that she made over 20 sales and even got a couple of tips. (tips were confiscated by me for rental of the card table).
All in all, we had a great time and it was quite a learning experience. (Cathy went on to become a lawyer..guess she never wanted her rights violated again)
We netted out $1.85 and spent it on candy.

Yesterday the lemondade stand was quite a bit different.
The stand was a computer desk that Bil Gates would have been proud to own. It held a food processor; a computer; printer; a small cash register and credit card machine.

Their sign looked like a New York Advertising Agency had produced it. It was even spelled correctly ~ although I'm sure they used a spell-checker.

The two little 7 year old sales-girls were dressed alike with t-shirts that had been embroidered with "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade"

They had REAL lemons that they put in the food processor and they served their drinks in souvenir mugs, which you could buy for an additional $8.00 (but it DID have that cute little saying etched on it)
The crystal sugar bowls offered sugar, sweet 'n low and splenda.

I think what really unnerved me was the fact that they even took American Express! But then again, for $3.50/serving, who carries that kind of cash?

As I walked away with my Mastercard receipt and my 6 souvenir mugs (yup, I'm a soft touch), I decided I was born just a few years too early.

I also tinkered with the idea of calling the IRS on them.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Griffin had a garage sale the other day. He did it all by himself, in fact I didn't realize he was having a sale until I went outside to see what was keeping him so occupied. Thats when I realized he was selling an old plunger, some toys, a toilet brush and his broken piggy bank. He actually made $2.21. Granted it was from his grandma who needed a plunger and his brother who wanted his toy back but he informed both buyers that if someone else wanted to buy that same item, he was going to take it back and sell it again. Maybe he is onto something or buyer beware?

Anonymous said...

Griffin had a garage sale the other day. He did it all by himself, in fact I didn't realize he was having a sale until I went outside to see what was keeping him so occupied. Thats when I realized he was selling an old plunger, some toys, a toilet brush and his broken piggy bank. He actually made $2.21. Granted it was from his grandma who needed a plunger and his brother who wanted his toy back but he informed both buyers that if someone else wanted to buy that same item, he was going to take it back and sell it again. Maybe he is onto something or buyer beware?

Anonymous said...

oopsy daisy

Anonymous said...

oopsy daisy

Anonymous said...

hee hee hee

Peggy Murphy said...

It was a cute story, but honestly, do I have to read it again???