Monday, July 17, 2006

Embarrassments Arrive Daily at My House



So, it was a nice lazy Sunday...although quite hot & humid...and I finally decided to take a late shower at 5:30 p.m.
I always enjoy my post-shower ritual of dabbing moisturizing cream on my face, arms and legs to smooth out the increasing wrinkles and dry skin that is attacking me by Leather-lips himself.
I was in "my zone" of thinking about 1200 things that I need to do when the doorbell rang. That jolted me right out of this hemisphere and I hurridly threw on a pair of shorts and an old t-shirt and ran to answer the door.

Standing there was a neighbor who was dressed to the nines (whatever that means) in a Sunday church dress and high heels. (Don't worry, she's a woman)
She looked at me a little odd as she asked for the $5.00 contribution towards the neighborhood block party.
I asked her to come in as I tried to dig up that amount.
Wouldn't you know ~ I had no money except the "throw your left-over change in a cup" stash. Church-lady seemed a little un-easy as I counted out the pennies, nickels and dimes (I save the quarters for buying the newspaper). I threw the $5.00 (that it took me 15 minutes to count out) in a baggie ~ and thanked her for stopping by as she mumbled "no problem" as she bolted and clicked her stillettos down the walk like she was late for choir practice.
(she also ignored the extended hand I offered as a "sign of peace")

As I headed back to the bathroom, I was startled by the face that stared in astonishment back at me in the mirror. I had dabbed the cream about my face and appendages but in my haste, I had not rubbed it in so I looked like a painted warrier from Zumbowow!

......and I'll bet my neighbor never even noticed how smooth my skin is.

No comments: