Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Pocket Change


Pockets are an interesting invention.
I see some that are decorative only and are sewn into the clothing while others are bigger than a Mother's diaper bag.
Recently, on beautiful sunny, 70 degree day, I observed four men walking to their cars after having lunch at a local restaurant ~ and each one of them were walking with both of their hands stuffed in their (own) pockets.
I thought that maybe they belonged to some club.

I always thought that pockets were for tissues, keys and money. Maybe throw in a grocery list and paper clip here and there.

So, why do people walk with their mitts jammed down their pockets?
Are their hands really heavy and they're tired of carrying them around?
Are we that lazy that we need to rest our hands after a hard afternoon spooning soup in our mouths?

It just seemed odd to me.

But odder yet is the picture of a couple walking not arm-in-arm, but with a hand in each other's hip pocket. Is this a ritual to find out if where they carry their extra cash? Perhaps they are proceeding with a shake-down frisk to check for drugs.
It just doesn't seem very intimate to me. What happened to good old hand holding? Are we all germ-a-phobes?

These and other questions are written down on sticky notes that I guess I will carry in my pockets to ponder at a later date.
Aw, crud. I have the slacks on where the pockets that are sewn together. I'll have to make a note not to buy those anymore...

but where shall I put it?

No comments: