Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day



Happy Mother's Day to everyone.

Today I went to Frisches Big Boy for an early breakfast with a friend of mine. When we were seated, the server gave us each a lovely Mothers Day card with a poem about how Mothers should be appreciated and included was a coupon for a free dinner. What a wonderful gesture. I didn't notice if this card was given to all patrons or just the women over 16. I DID hear the waitress mumble that it's too bad they don't acknowledge Father's Day with as much as a free beverage...and asked us "Is that fair?"
Well, gosh..I hadn't thought about it before because I didn't know Frisches ignored Fatherhood.

But back to Mom's 24 hour celebration. I must have heard the wish, "Happy Mother's Day" seven times in 42 minutes. Even people who brushed by us coming in and out of the restaurant were bubbling Matronly greetings in our direction.

I was watching a news program earlier and George Stephanapolis was being interviewed by a young newscaster and he wished her a Happy Mother's Day, only to have her to mention later to a colleague that she wasn't married and had no children.
Now I'm not saying that it is a stab to my heart that I was never blessed with cute little Peggy-ettes...and I sure don't want strangers asking me if I am a Mom before wishing me well...kinda like during the Christmas Holidays, some non-Christians get upset if greeted with "Merry Christmas". Do THEY want to be queried about their religious affiliation every minute of the day?

Ok, I think I am just babbling a bit today.
Don't you think that it's nice that perfect strangers (well, I don't know if they are PERFECT, but let's give me a little slack today) say ANYTHING nice to ANYONE?

I am blessed with knowing a few Moms who are dern near perfect. And there are a few out there who are lacking basic child-rearing skills but still love their kids. Whichever it is, I think Parenthood in general is a full time job with benefits...lots and lots of benefits albeit sometimes hidden amongst tantrums, frustrations, messy rooms, spilled milk (the no-tear kind), soiled diapers, sleepless nights and of course, tough love. Then comes the good stuff...the hugs, the pulled flower from your freshly planted garden and the smiles that could be blamed for Global Warming.

I, personally, miss having my Mom call me to talk about absolutely nothing of any significance.
I miss her telling me I put too much garlic in the meatloaf and too little onion in the wilted lettuce salad.
I miss us going to the zoo to watch the gorillas and having lunch by the river and having seed-spitting contests with Brian & Sean.

I miss her calling me up during a commercial of The Murder She Wrote show to tell me who she thinks murdered the rich guy's wife. (and to tell me she loves Angela Lansbury's pink blazer and maybe we could find one like it at Kohls Department store)
I miss her sense of humor where we bend over in giggle fits in the middle of a store just trying of clothes ~ she had Carol Burnett comedic timing.
I miss her playing along with me on elevators when I would start to make up a story about being robbed at gun point and she would act like she was interviewing me, asking me what happened next. On one accasion a woman followed us off the elevator when it wasn't her destination floor just to hear the end of our fabricated story.
I miss her giving me the peace sign when I drove out of her driveway.
I miss her treasured advice to "get showered and dressed even if you don't feel good..you'll feel better if you look better"....and I always did.
I miss her laugh that was infectious (even if the joke was on her).
I miss her getting out a row of aspirin bottles and heartburn medication when she would see either Grandson, Brian or Sean, drive up to the house. It was for THEM, not her as she adored the visits, announced or otherwise.

Sorry, gang...I HAD the best Mom. Yours might come in second.

Can you guess? I just plain miss her.

1 comment:

ylmurph said...

me too...