Thursday, December 07, 2006

Santa - Let Me Thank You


Who could NOT like the character of Santa Claus? He has so many admirable traits.
He is jolly even though he has always been the chubbiest guy in his class. He is obviously more recognizable than both Britney Spears and Tiger Woods yet we never see him trading in his celebrity status by making commercials to help fund his December 25th expenditures. Santa has never yielded to the latest fashion trends like wearing earrings or shaving his head to a shiny glow. It appears that he could care less that he only has one suit to wear and that it is “dry clean only” and that the color might make him look “fat”.

He gave up smoking years ago, which might have contributed to that recent weight gain, but he wanted to set a good example for the youth of the world. He doesn’t seem to mind that he doesn’t own the ultimate driving machine and he still settles for the same old sleigh and cranky reindeers that he has used to “get around” since my Great-Great-Grandparents were kids. Over hundreds of years, Santa has never had to refer to Mapquest or invest in an expensive GPS system to navigate his route.

Santa doesn’t have an agent representing him who is asking for more money and production-driven “incentives” that might provide a comfy retirement package.
When SC has successfully finished his delivery in one of his targeted cities, you don’t find him celebrating with the Santa Shuffle or spiking a toy near the town hall ~ he just keeps working until his job is done. I wonder if the elves and reindeer even offer their boss a “high five” for the accomplishing this greatest feat on earth?

Here is one jovial guy who attempts to provide a little magic and love to every person on earth for just one day. He performs his job duties the same way, every year, seemingly with little thanks with the exception of a few stale cookies, some luke-warm milk and if he is really lucky, a hard peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

I wonder how many thank-you notes SC receives AFTER December 25th? I’m sure it doesn’t compare with the letters of requests prior to the big day.

I would like to give Santa a present this year. I don’t know exactly what he wants as I’ve never seen his wish list. I think I would faint if I opened my mail one day to see a “Dear Peg…I have been a very good Santa this year and I would love to get an electric razor for Christmas this year.” YIKES…that is a NASTY nightmare!
My guess is that he doesn’t need or want a physical present or even recognition ~ but would probably love it if we would all treat others with a little more respect, sprinkled with kindness. I’m sure that he would let loose with a few more HO HO HO’s if we all lighten up and laugh a bit more.
I’ll try to do that…and to BE nice rather than naughty.

That…and maybe leave him a juicy, freshly grilled filet mignon accompanied by an amusing little glass of a 1983 Merlot...and a thank you note.

4 comments:

Annie Michael Murphy said...

I may have to come meet Santa for dinner at your house.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure that Santa appreciates you and your kind thoughts. I have confidence that he will bring you daily laughter, great health, much love, renewed wealth & blissful happiness in the coming days.

mamajan

ylmurph said...

Santa definitely is trading his celebrity for comercials - he's all over the place - Coke - McDonald's - you name it...he's a commerical junkie...
he's probably shilling for some used car place right now

Peggy Murphy said...

HEY, Mister! You are NOT talking about MY Santa...you KNOW there are cheap knock-offs who are trying to cash in on the "look" of MY Santa.

I hope you don't get coal in your stocking.